BOBinGA PS95-8 speakers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOBinGA PS95-8 speakers

I built BOBinGA's ps95 full range design. They are small but deliver the goods. There is something about a good full range design that is amazing and this design delivers that magic.
    The cabinet is 4 1/2 wide 10 tall and 7 deep 1/2 thick tuned to 81hz. Small enough for almost any application. Currently using them in my living room with subwoofers and they get plenty loud for my needs.
    really glad I built this design. It only took 3 evenings from start to finish. I sealed the outside with shellac and then sprayed them with a rattle can. More time on the finish and these could have looked a lot nicer. Being as small as they are they still pass the WAF test.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180529_183424.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	1377667
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Again to BOBinG a for all the help and sharing his design.
      Attached Files

Comment

Ive been looking for a design like this, thanks for posting. Nice build

Comment

Thanks, Ken, for selecting one of my projects to build. Its nice to see interest in my design. I hope you like them as much as I do. I have used them in various applications - computer desk speakers, 2.1 speakers with subwoofer for general stereo listening and now they are my 5.1 back channel speakers for our living room TV. Here are a couple of build shots to show how I built them. The only difference is that I have the port on the back which shouldn't make any difference in the sound. Using a 0.5 X 3.5 X 7 slot port makes the build easier since you just have to cut one additional piece and don't have to bother with cutting a round hole for the port. Cut a 5.5 or 6.0 inch board (depending on the joint you make) and the bend in the corner makes it 7.0 long port. I just used red primer and they match my hearth pretty well which is where they reside today.

-Bob

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151122_145502.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	612.7 KB
ID:	1377834Click image for larger version

Name:	20180530_125209small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	1377835
          -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
          My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
          The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

I've been listening to these in my main living room since I built them and now it's time for a casual review.
            This design has all of the strengths of a full range speakers with only a few of the weaknesses. In their current set up they sit on top of 2 10 inch subwoofers that take care of the bottom end with ease. Using my Onkyo receiver I was able to find a desirable crossover point at about 150hz. The combination sounds very full and has not sent me running back to my 2way bookshelf speakers like other thin sounding full range speakers have done. They do loose the top end off axis but not as bad as I expected. Elevating the speakers to ear level did help their sound quality for listening at the sofa. Although my favorite listening position has been on the living room floor with the speakers pointed down at me in a near field trifecta. This seems to turn any floor bounce into chest bounce mitigated by my face mounted audio diffraction device. ;)> They have a good level of detail able to point out some recording flaws but also able to glance over others and let you enjoy the music. The "point source" makes listening to female vocals a joy as the sound stage is solid and defined, no "girl on a trampoline" effect cases by a bad tweeter/mid crossover. They also disappear in the room leaving you ears the ability to imagine the band playing. They also disappear enough to lessen the whining sounds caused by speakers with a lower WAF. These fulfill the need for good audio in a pretty package. Using them in a living room does stretch their abilities a bit but they can get the job done when implemented correctly. I am certain that they would be excellent on a desktop or in a bedroom. I hope that if you try this design you are as happy with them as I am. Thanks for reading my casual review i hope it was entertaining and enlightning. Please feel free to share your thoughts.

Comment

Thank you for the kind review. My cat likes them, too.
              -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system

Comment

Have a couple of PS95-8s and this like a good project to use them. Is there a link available with more information, or just what has been posted here. I searched and could not find this specific project. Just curious about C1 being listed as optional, and don't know enough about crossovers to know what it does.

Comment

I don't think I did a full write up on these, but everything you need should be in this thread. I originally posted this as comment 22 in this thread:
                  techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/1294373-designs-for-ps95-8/page2

The only thing I would add is that this is designed flat on axis. Ken commented "
                  They do loose the top end off axis but not as bad as I expected." This is normal for any full range driver. If you want them a little brighter off axis, you need to make them a tad bright on axis. If you want to experiment with this, changing the first .45 mH inductor to something less might help. Something like .3 or .4 will do it. But I listened to these for quite a while designing them and finally settled on .45 as the most natural sounding within 3 to 10 feet away. In a bigger space, you will not get the high frequency reflections off your walls, so reducing the inductor might help in that case. Season to taste, but keep the L2-C2-R2 notch filter as is so that it hits the peak at 2000 hz and flattens it out.

C1 is there as protection for low frequency explosions and such. This speaker has its power limits and C1 keeps it from exceeding Xmax with material below about 50 hz. It does not affect the sound in the normal 80 hz and above band that this is designed for. I marked it as optional because most receivers have a high pass filter when set up with a sub, so in that case it could be left out and you would likely be OK, but better safe than sorry.

-Bob
                  -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system

Comment

I just ordered the parts for this project today, but mine will likely be a standard round port. I don't have much time these days with 2 little ones. Looking forward to hearing them.

Comment

Can anybody comment on the bass response of these? I threw them in an 80hz test box with no filter and was less than impressed based on all the reviews. I'm assuming the filter will smooth/balance out the sound possibly making them sound fuller? My intended use is 2 channel stereo listening.

Comment

Yes, the filter will improve the perceived bass response quite a bit. Without the filter, the highs just keep getting louder and louder as you go up in frequency. But also keep in mind that 80hz is about their limit. They are only a 3" driver after all.
                        -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system

Comment

Sorry, I have only used mine with sub woofers so I can't comment on their extension. I would not expect much as this driver has little surface area/x-max to make bass. Good news is that the internet is full of 2.1 amplifiers and sub woofers.
                          I would be happy to make some recommendations if you let me know the budget and space options.

Comment

BobinGA, thank you for the response, and conformation on my suspicions of the filter. For the record I didn't expect nd90 bass, 80hz is fine. I was just hoping it to be more pronounced.

Comment

I haven’t heard this design but have put the PS95 in an mltl and I feel it is quite impressive.... throw bob’s design in it and let us know what you think
                              Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Working...
                              X