Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Sapele Sopranos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sapele Sopranos

I need another pair of small TMs like I need another hole in my head. To see how my new "budget" table saw works, I bought a Sopranos kit from a well known Michigan based speaker source.

The table saw works fairly well, a 2' x 4' "handi panel" is the upper limit of workability. Another extension would help. The thin Freud blade does flex easily, very important to feed carefully.

These are 3/4" particle board to be covered in PSA Sapele veneer.

Similar in size to the S2000s, slightly larger with a thicker wall cab. We will see how they compare soundwise.

Biscuits, Titebond and accurate parts allow one step glue up.

Sanded, filled, sanded, shellacked

Comment

Holes.

Comment

Basic veneer is on.

Comment

Getting there .... and looking good.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Looks nice!! I may have to jump on this biscuit bandwagon for speed and efficiency. Good gosh.....
              Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Biscuits and pressure sensitive adhesive veneer are big time savers for a basic box project like this.

Comment

Veneer done. One coat of clear Watco Oil. The grain looked dull before this.

Comment

Done. They sound very nice, can't really listen to them right now. Compared to the DIYSG Paul Carmody S2000. I made the Sopranos 1/2" shorter and deeper than the plan calls for, looked better to me.

Comment

Those look really good - well done

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

They turned out great. Can you share what you finished them with? I saw the one coat of Watco oil, but did you put anything else over it? I'm working on a project with Sapelle and would love to get results like that.

Comment

Clear Watco, shellac, sanded down smooth, more Watco. The grain really shimmers in the sunlight but the actual finish is semi gloss. I read this webpage.

3 Wonderful Sapele Wood Finishes for Better Woodworking Projects – Woodworkers Source Blog

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                              Done. They sound very nice, can't really listen to them right now. Compared to the DIYSG Paul Carmody S2000. I made the Sopranos 1/2" shorter and deeper than the plan calls for, looked better to me.
                              Have you had some time to listen? How do they compare to the S2000's?

Comment

Working...
                              X