Announcement

Collapse

Columbus Day Sale

Shop Our 24-Hour Columbus Day Sale on 10/14/19 at Parts Express! Click the Parts Express Logo at the top left of this page.
See more
See less

Sapele Sopranos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• djg
    started a topic Sapele Sopranos

Sapele Sopranos

I need another pair of small TMs like I need another hole in my head. To see how my new "budget" table saw works, I bought a Sopranos kit from a well known Michigan based speaker source.

The table saw works fairly well, a 2' x 4' "handi panel" is the upper limit of workability. Another extension would help. The thin Freud blade does flex easily, very important to feed carefully.

These are 3/4" particle board to be covered in PSA Sapele veneer.

Similar in size to the S2000s, slightly larger with a thicker wall cab. We will see how they compare soundwise.

Biscuits, Titebond and accurate parts allow one step glue up.

• fazz
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    So I stacked the S2000s on top of the Sopranos and listened to some music. I would be happy with either design. Both have similar bass response. With the 2.1 sub turned down, you get decent bass, turning it up you hear what you're missing. Both of these were built with the same PE port at the shortest length. Both are really best with a sub.

I don't prefer one over the other. The S2000 is cheaper, potentially much easier if you buy the flat pack. The S2000 flat pack is the same as DIYSGs Overnight Sensation flat pack. 1/2" Baltic Birch. The Soprano plan calls out 3/4" mat'l, both have no bracing.

I'll be listening to the Sopranos because they're newer and look nicer.
    Thanks for the comparison! Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    So I stacked the S2000s on top of the Sopranos and listened to some music. I would be happy with either design. Both have similar bass response. With the 2.1 sub turned down, you get decent bass, turning it up you hear what you're missing. Both of these were built with the same PE port at the shortest length. Both are really best with a sub.

I don't prefer one over the other. The S2000 is cheaper, potentially much easier if you buy the flat pack. The S2000 flat pack is the same as DIYSGs Overnight Sensation flat pack. 1/2" Baltic Birch. The Soprano plan calls out 3/4" mat'l, both have no bracing.

I'll be listening to the Sopranos because they're newer and look nicer.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    I haven't been able to turn them up yet. They are about as efficient as the S2000s and they sound very smooth. I will report when able. They do add class.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by djg; 07-11-2018, 06:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fazz
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    Done. They sound very nice, can't really listen to them right now. Compared to the DIYSG Paul Carmody S2000. I made the Sopranos 1/2" shorter and deeper than the plan calls for, looked better to me.
    Have you had some time to listen? How do they compare to the S2000's?

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Clear Watco, shellac, sanded down smooth, more Watco. The grain really shimmers in the sunlight but the actual finish is semi gloss. I read this webpage.

3 Wonderful Sapele Wood Finishes for Better Woodworking Projects – Woodworkers Source Blog

Leave a comment:

• Thucker
    replied
    They turned out great. Can you share what you finished them with? I saw the one coat of Watco oil, but did you put anything else over it? I'm working on a project with Sapelle and would love to get results like that.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• scottvalentin
    replied
    Those look really good - well done

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Done. They sound very nice, can't really listen to them right now. Compared to the DIYSG Paul Carmody S2000. I made the Sopranos 1/2" shorter and deeper than the plan calls for, looked better to me.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Veneer done. One coat of clear Watco Oil. The grain looked dull before this.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Biscuits and pressure sensitive adhesive veneer are big time savers for a basic box project like this.

Leave a comment:

• joeybutts
    replied
    Looks nice!! I may have to jump on this biscuit bandwagon for speed and efficiency. Good gosh.....

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Millstonemike
    replied
    Getting there .... and looking good.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X