Aollo MT - Project 8 year old

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aollo MT - Project 8 year old

My 8 year old son James came to me a few weeks ago and asked "Umpa, can we build a bird house?".
    Me being the audio building nut that I am, I thought for about 10 seconds and answered "Sure but we have to build two and I bet they will sound pretty good."

It usually takes me about two months to design and build my own designs and I didn't want him to loose his enthusiasm or bore him to death with the details of a complete design procedure (after all he is eight years old) so I opted for a kit that I have had my eye on for a while, the Apollo from DIY Sound Group.. He needed audio for his bedroom anyway but the MTM was a bit large so I went with the MT which is still bit large for his room but still doable. I ordered the kit and it came strait away and we were off.

Sorry for the spelling in the title but i cant seem to edit Apollo.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0628181150.jpg Views:	1 Size:	191.0 KB ID:	1382113

After unpacking the items I set up the drivers on my test bench and showed him how to measure them and then we broke the woofers in for about 30 hrs and re-measured them. All good so far.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0629181944_HDR.jpg Views:	1 Size:	371.0 KB ID:	1382112

Next I showed him how to lay out the crossover parts and cut the crossover boards. Then we set about gluing up the cabs. I bought the flat pack with the kits, again to save time. They were quite nice. The mock up proved the cuts were accurate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0630180856.jpg Views:	1 Size:	213.1 KB ID:	1382114

Click image for larger version  Name:	0630181114_HDR.jpg Views:	1 Size:	240.6 KB ID:	1382115

Click image for larger version  Name:	0630181132.jpg Views:	1 Size:	327.0 KB ID:	1382116

Next post.....crossovers.
    Last edited by Harvylogan; 07-14-2018, 01:15 PM.
    BSME
    Kannapolis NC

I showed him how to lay out the crossover and taught him how to solder. He burned himself with the hot glue but held tough.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0706182041.jpg Views:	1 Size:	270.8 KB ID:	1382118

The testing

Click image for larger version  Name:	0708181022_HDR.jpg Views:	1 Size:	356.8 KB ID:	1382119

Next post.....cabinet finishing
    BSME
    Kannapolis NC

Comment

He wanted matte green and wanted to learn to paint. Fine by me. It is his project and matte is easy to work with. Learning to block, sand, seal and spray.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0702182001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	1382121

Name:	0702182012.jpg
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	1382122

Name:	0704181536_HDR.jpg
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	1382123

Name:	0708180952.jpg
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	1382124

Name:	0708181018.jpg
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	1382125

Next stop.....Assembly.

BSME
      Kannapolis NC

Comment

Assembly went smooth. A little more soldering, some stuffing and done.

Name:	0713181921.jpg
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	1382129

Name:	0713181922.jpg
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	1382130

Name:	0713181923.jpg
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	1382131

The acid test.

Name:	0714180821a.jpg
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	1382132

The Apollo MT sounds pretty darn good. Excellent imaging and solid sound stage. Efficiency is a bit low but still very good dynamics. Very robust bass. Overall a very well rounded sounding speaker. They will eat that little Adcom 535 whole. He is a happy camper and did a great job on his first project. He learned a lot. I couldn't be more proud of his hard work.

Next project.....Intimidators Baseball Camp.

BSME
        Kannapolis NC

Comment

Nice bird house! I like the green. It's great to pass along something to youth, and the sense of accomplishment that they get out of it.

Comment

I had an '86 Mustang GT hatchback, wish I still had it. Nice speakers too.

Comment

Parent of the year contender right here! Very very cool. I'm not exactly sure why the TV is ten feet in the air, but very very cool speaker build. =)

Comment

Thanks for sharing that experience with all of us. He'll treasure those most because you were there.

What did you use for stuffing in the enclosures?
                R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBooty View Post
                  Parent of the year contender right here! Very very cool. I'm not exactly sure why the TV is ten feet in the air, but very very cool speaker build. =)
                  That is actually my bedroom we used for the listening test because it was already wired for sound and all I had to do was plug the speakers in. I put the tv up high because when we watch it is usually before we go to sleep and its much easier to see when we are lying in bed. They are in his room now. I finished the install last night.
                  BSME
                  Kannapolis NC

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
                    Thanks for sharing that experience with all of us. He'll treasure those most because you were there.

What did you use for stuffing in the enclosures?
                    I just used a bit of 3M fiberglass I had in the shop. A little loose pack nothing major. Not sure it changed anything because I didn't listen to them before the packing. I didn't need to adjust them because they sound good the way they are.

I have never really understood the need for packing in a ported enclosure. I would think the cabinet damping should be taken care of by the port tuning but I have been wrong about that before. There was no port length listed with the kit. Erich suggested that you used the primary tube without the extension so I went that way. I figured if it was off I could just tune it myself. As it turned out there was no need.

Very nice job on the design Pete.
                    BSME
                    Kannapolis NC

Comment

Midrange "junk" (off the back of the woofer cone) CAN make its way out the port - but having a rear port exit helps w/that. So does lining the box w/some absorbent material.

Comment

Working...
                      X