My sun room build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My sun room build

I wasn't even gonna post this, but I'm very pleased with the results, and it may be useful to someone. So sorry, no build log. At first I wanted to do a fullrange driver. I came up with a simple 3 part contour filter that to my ears sounded pretty good. I posted schematic below. Having said that, going fullrange usually your compromising the top, and the low end. In the end I choose a two-way with the Dayton rs100-4, and the nd16fa. The box is front ported with an internal volume of .114cf. I lined the back wall with 1.5" fiber fill bought at the local craft store. The port is 1" × 2.8" pvc, for a 72hz tuning. The crossover is cheap and simple, crossed at 4k. I used two buyout .52mh wired in series with a 9.1 ohm resistor in parallel, and a 5uf cap. The tweeter consists of a 6.6uf cap with an L-pad of two 3 ohm resistors. Each of the caps are Npe parralleled with a 1uf dayton poly. The amp is a cigar box ta2024 board bought from PE that I recapped with nicer components. I run the amp with a 12v battery pack. I'm pretty happy with the overall results. Very pleasing, inoffensive sound from such a simple design. This has a happy new home in my sun room.
    Last edited by Jake; 07-17-2018, 07:50 PM.

wow what a clean, impressive build! Would love to attempt something like this myself...once I finish the "finishing" on my 5.1 home theatre setup!

How do you connect the 12V battery pack to the cigar box amp - looks like you have some kind of quick connect there? any pics of the battery pack? curious now!

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Steeves View Post
      wow what a clean, impressive build! Would love to attempt something like this myself...once I finish the "finishing" on my 5.1 home theatre setup!

How do you connect the 12V battery pack to the cigar box amp - looks like you have some kind of quick connect there? any pics of the battery pack? curious now!
      Thanks for the kind words. The amplifier has a 2.1mm d/c jack. I bought the 12v (8 AA) battery holder and soldered a 2.1mm d/c plug on the end. I like to put a couple of piece of heat shrink on the wire to strengthen it some. I post a couple of pics for you after work.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post

Thanks for the kind words. The amplifier has a 2.1mm d/c jack. I bought the 12v (8 AA) battery holder and soldered a 2.1mm d/c plug on the end. I like to put a couple of piece of heat shrink on the wire to strengthen it some. I post a couple of pics for you after work.
        thanks! it will be much appreciated! have you tested the longevity of your battery setup yet?

Comment

Heres a pic of the jack and plug, with the battery pack. Just make sure you buy the same size for both. The d/c plug unscrews, the small center tabs are positive. I estimate about 20 hrs on the battery pack, but YMMV. Battery pack also works with tpa3110 and ta2020. You won't get full power, but it's plenty for me. I also have d/c adapters, but prefer the sound with battery.

Comment

awesome! thank you. I was wondering about the DC adapters as well to be able to plug it in - but of course battery seems like a great alternative to have a nice little portable system. Rechargeable batteries even better! (although they probably won't last quite as long)

Comment

Unfortunately as with Diy, I ran into an unforseen problem. When I built the speakers one of the tweeters had slightly more output than the other. Since that was the tweeter I did all the testing with I attributed it with break in. I waited a few days to see if the levels would match, but they did not. I was able to test the high pass filter, and it was not the problem. One tweeter was either damaged during install or deficient. Either way I had to scrap them with the box. I'm not gonna order new parts, I decided to use what I have on hand. The only tweeter I have are the buyout 1/2" tweeters. I've used these to pair with other small drivers and found them adequate. I will have to cross them higher than the Dayton nd16fa. I began building new baffles, and enclosures. The tweeters will be rear mounted along with the ports. The new enclosure will be 9.5" tall instead of 9". Giving an internal volume of .12cf.

Comment

The new cabs are pine, I wanted a quick turnaround. I'm gonna leave them as is and coat them with poly.

Comment

I ran the tweeters in Together this time for over 2hrs, so it was time to move forward. The cross overs were easy enough to change. I simply removed the 1uf dayton poly's to each cap making it roughly 5k. I secured the tweeters and pvc port by adding a few drops of super glue to place them. Then sealing and securing them with construction adhesive.

Comment

Continuing the work I weighed out 6 oz of polyfill and secured it to the back baffle with some spray adhesive. Baffles are going on. Hopefully tomorrowe I'll sand a little, and do a round over. Then maybe a coat of poly. Done for tonight.

Comment

Just finished the speakers. I'm happy with the look, but I'm a man of little patience. I made one very stupid error in an attempt to finish these asap. Can you spot the difference? Yes human error laughing in my face again. Oh well I made piece with it. Time for a well deserved glass of wine.

Comment

Here's the finished product. I mixed tung oil with poly for more of a Beechwood finish. The new tweeters are adequate. I just changed the 9.1ohm resistor for an 8.2ohm to bring the mids up more to meet the tweeter. The old design gave more top end, but on certain songs it was a little much. This new design is fatigue free. I would build this again.

Comment

Looks great Jake! Love the wood as well. Seems like an awesome little portable system. sucks you had issues with the tweeter but glad you found a worthy substitute and made it work.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Steeves View Post
                            Looks great Jake! Love the wood as well. Seems like an awesome little portable system. sucks you had issues with the tweeter but glad you found a worthy substitute and made it work.
                            Thanks, I'm actually happier with this version. The rs100 drivers are pretty impressive in a ported box with baffle step, and the buyout tweeters are worth alot more than the price. I'm gonna pick up a few more pairs for future Bluetooth and small bookshelf builds.

Comment

Working...
                            X