Microstatements Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microstatements Project

Last year, I put together a build of Curt Campbell's Microstatements. It took me a little longer to build than I anticipated due to Irma, but I eventually finished them, and I love them!

http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/Mi...tements_1.html

This was my first (cabinet) build from scratch, and I had a lot of help from a friend with experience.
    I made plenty of mistakes, learned a lot, and I enjoyed the whole process (well, maybe except the sanding).

Some things I learned and would maybe do differently next time:
    1. Be more gentle when sanding. I over-sanded a bit and it shows in some of the pictures and if you look close enough in person.
    2. Don't get so caught up in the putty process. Seal them, use a high-quality, thick primer and use that to get a smooth surface.
    3. Expose them to heat before painting. I ended up with some visible seams after painting because I didn't let them expand and contract enough before painting.
    4. Consider separating the crossover onto two boards. It could make fitment easier and could potentially lead to better inductor placement.

I use these at my desk with a 10" sub that I also built with a Dayton RSS265HF-4. The cabinet could have been a little bigger, but it's okay considering I'm using an external amp.

I can't give these enough praise--they sound great!

Let me know if you have any questions, and please give any tips to use in the future or feedback you have on the build!
    The final result comes first! Everything was cut using the table saw on which all the MDF is sitting. Here, I'm gluing and clamping one of the speakers together. I used Titebond II wood glue. My camera was acting up this day, so all my pictures of the clamping process turned out blurry. Sorry!
    Last edited by tayj10; 07-25-2018, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Here's the sub I've paired them with at my desk.

Comment

Very nice! Thanks for all of the informative pics. What did you use for clear and how many coats of paint and clear?

Comment

IIRC, there are 2 base coats of the Andromeda silver, 4-6 of the red, and 2 coats of clear. The clear coat used was General GenMax 4010. The sub has 4 coats of clear because it came out a little rougher than anticipated and it needed more material to work with to achieve a nice finish.

Comment

Excellent finish! I am seriously reconsidering my veneer, perhaps automotive paint would be better? Nice work! Very professional looking speakers! Inspiring! Russell
                RussellK

Comment

Thanks, alphaGT!

Comment

Beautiful painting and finishing!

Comment

Great looking, is the sub sealed? with what amplification?

Comment

Thanks! Yes, the sub is sealed. It has a kind of unorthodox semi-external plate amp mounted on the back. I was concerned about the total volume being a little small for the 10" woofer, so I just added a box on the back to hold the amp. It's powered by a Dayton SPA250. I don't really have any really good pictures of it in its finished form, but here are a few at various stages of the build.
                        Last edited by tayj10; 08-02-2018, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X