Cigar box mini system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cigar box mini system

I've always used cigar boxes to make things with. Mainly small amps, and bluetooth speakers. I've never used them to build a pair of speakers. I decided to use two Acid boxes, both with a rough internal volume of .09cf. I used a little over 2oz of poly fill for each box. Internally cross braced each one with 1/2" wooden dowel. I tuned them to 82hz, which surprised me how low these little drivers went. For the finish, I put on a couple coats of Danish oil, then wipe on poly.
    The speakers themselves were built entirely of parts that I already had. The drivers are 2.75" paper cones with a large dust cap and rubber surrounds that I canalbalized from an old bluetooth speaker from the thrift store. The tweeters used are the 1/2" PE $.98 buy outs that I've become fond of. The crossover is a 6k hodge podge of parts thrown together.
    The amplifier is a Sure tpa3110 from PE. I recapped it with larger/better caps. I used a 3.5mm jack front mounted to keep the signal line short. I wired up a 50k potentiometer with some cat6.
    I'm very pleased, and surprised by this combo. Good for a bedroom, desktop, or kitchen.
    Rear view

Comment

looks pretty cool. good recycling

Comment

Originally posted by 3rutu5 View Post
        looks pretty cool. good recycling
        Thanks, there's a cigar shop that supplies me boxes for free. I was thinking of gifting it to them.

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
          hey Jake,
          I didn't realize that cigar boxes came so big. They really look sharp!
          TomZ
          Thanks Tom!
          They actually get bigger. This one has an internal of .15cf. Been using them for years. Cheap unique enclosure. Check out a recent amp build.

Comment

A man after my own heart! I've built several amps and external crossovers in cigar boxes. In fact I've used those same exact Acid cigar boxes. Nice work.
            Craig

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
              A man after my own heart! I've built several amps and external crossovers in cigar boxes. In fact I've used those same exact Acid cigar boxes. Nice work.
              Thanks you sir! Nice to see an inexpensive build get a little love.

Comment

Nice work. Curious, do you smoke all those cigars or is there a used cigar box market?

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                  Nice work. Curious, do you smoke all those cigars or is there a used cigar box market?
                  I smoke an occasional cigar, probably a couple a year. I get them from cigar shops. Most shops sell them for $1-5. A few months ago I found a shop that gives them away, but that's the only one I've seen do that.

Comment

+1

I don't smoke but the local cigar shop sells them for $1 each. My wife and I don't really like the cigar smell so I usually spray the inside with some Febreze then stick a Bounce dryer sheet in them for a few days. Works pretty good.
                    Craig

Comment

Working...
                    X