X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4thtry
    started a topic Totally Flat

Totally Flat

This was my <$200 entry at MWAF. I designed & built this speaker, from start to finish, in just 3 weeks before the competition. Let me know what you think.

Here is a link to the full write up: http://projectgallery.parts-express..../totally-flat/

Bill S.

EDIT: 1st place winner, < $200 category, MWAF 2018

Last edited by 4thtry; 08-26-2018, 02:00 PM. Reason: 1st place winner note added

• bjaurelio
    replied
    Thanks for the info. They may not be a good combination. I'm still in the infancy of conceptualizing the design. I'm interested in trying a design with some form of AMT or ribbon tweeter. My thought was a desktop 2 way would keep the cost and complexity down.

Leave a comment:

• 4thtry
    replied
    Originally posted by bjaurelio View Post
    What do you think of the mini AMT tweeter? I am considering it paired with the Dayton 4" paper cone full range for a mini monitor at work. The specs show a couple nasty humps in the response that aren't in your measured speaker response.
    This tweeter's FR does shift up and down quite a bit from 5 to 20kHz in my measurements, very similar to PE's published FR graph for this driver. I applied 6th octave smoothing to my posted graphs, which softened the bumps a little bit, but they are still there. The main problem with this tweeter is that it requires a very high crossover frequency. When attempting to pair this driver with your Dayton 4" paper cone full range, you will need to identify and "tame" this driver's breakup modes so that you can crossover in the 4-5kHz region. Good luck with your design.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• bjaurelio
    replied
    What do you think of the mini AMT tweeter? I am considering it paired with the Dayton 4" paper cone full range for a mini monitor at work. The specs show a couple nasty humps in the response that aren't in your measured speaker response.

Leave a comment:

• 4thtry
    replied
    Almost half way, but not quite

Drivers: $191
    Xover parts: $178
    Other parts: $ 30
    -----
    Total: $399

Leave a comment:

• Navy Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by 4thtry View Post

Thanks, Kerry. Your Juggernauts were very impressive as well. One of the best sounding passive radiator systems that I have ever heard. I only wish I could afford a pair of those tweeters.
    Thanks, Bill.

How much did you spend on your crossovers for these? You were probably half way there! ;)

Leave a comment:

• 4thtry
    replied
    Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
    These sounded great Bill!
    Thanks, Kerry. Your Juggernauts were very impressive as well. One of the best sounding passive radiator systems that I have ever heard. I only wish I could afford a pair of those tweeters.

Leave a comment:

• 4thtry
    replied
    Originally posted by kenny_k View Post
    Bill, another beauty!
    Thanks, Kenny! These small speakers were partially inspired by your Micro Bitty speakers, which use the same tweeters. Same idea, crossing high to a small mid housed in a small, sealed sub-chamber. And my deep, narrow cabinets just barely fit into the two rear seat kick areas of my Nissan Versa.

Leave a comment:

• Navy Guy
    replied
    These sounded great Bill!

Leave a comment:

• kenny_k
    replied
    Bill, another beauty!

Leave a comment:

• 4thtry
    replied
    Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post

Bill, You should edit your first post to indicate that not only was it your "entry" but it won first place in that category. While many of the regulars on the forum may already know that, that would be nice information for someone just browsing the Speaker Project Gallery forum.

<Edited to fix typo>

Originally posted by OldBeginner View Post
    Wow. I really love the look of those. And I agreement with a4eaudio! (Although I probably did know that information at one point from my lurking, but had forgotten).

Thanks for the suggestion and kind words about my speaker. I will edit my first post to include this information.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• 4thtry
    replied
    Originally posted by ernperkins View Post

Great job Bill, but in just three weeks? That's just not fair! Guess I'll have to put you on my "envy" list.

Thanks Ed. Yup, just 3 weeks from start to finish. That's the nice thing about being retired! I can spend 8+ hrs/day, blitzing a project, whenever I want to. When I started, I didn't really expect it to go together as fast as it did. But the crossover was a breeze. For some reason, these particular drivers just seem to blend together very well at the selected turnover frequencies.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• 4thtry
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    Inspirational.

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    ....and they sounded great too!!
    Wolf
    Originally posted by jhollander View Post
    Nice job Bill these were really great. I hope we get to hear them again in Iowa.

Originally posted by dld View Post
    I like it, very cool! Reminds me of the NHT 3.3's in miniature.

Originally posted by Jake View Post
    Any chance of a sound demo? I love the design, beautiful work.

Originally posted by ugly woofer View Post
    Well done Bill. I look forward to hearing these under better conditions.
    Thanks for all the kind comments about my speakers. Glad that you liked them. Going forward, I will be bringing these speakers to the Meniscus GTG next month (Grand Rapids, MI, Saturday, Sept 29th). I also plan to bring them to the IowaDIY event in the fall (Ankeny, IA, Saturday, October 20th). Hope you can make it to one of these events to give them a listen.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• ernperkins
    replied
    Originally posted by 4thtry View Post
    This was my <$200 entry at MWAF. I designed & built this speaker, from start to finish, in just 3 weeks before the competition.
    Great job Bill, but in just three weeks? That's just not fair! Guess I'll have to put you on my "envy" list.

Leave a comment:

• ugly woofer
    replied
    Well done Bill. I look forward to hearing these under better conditions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X