SubWave6: A compact subwoofer utilizing the Wavecor SW168WA01

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SubWave6: A compact subwoofer utilizing the Wavecor SW168WA01

Since working with Wavecor through CSS, I've been slowly realizing the hidden value in their drivers over the last year or so and was very excited to see that PE has made the move to carry the Wavecor line. Many of their drivers offer top of the line performance in some category or another and their look is often understated, which makes for some great "sleeper" opportunities. One such driver is the SW168WA01, which I had to try after reading this article: http://www.audioxpress.com/article/t...wa01-subwoofer

This driver has a physical Xmax of 7mm, but through Klippel measurement, it was found to have acceptable distortion levels at excursions over 13mm! Great drivers generally exceed these distortion levels near their rated Xmax, very few are good past Xmax and I've never seen one at almost double until now. This feat seems to play out in the AudioXpress distortion measurements as well with 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion remaining very low down to about 40Hz where it starts to shoot up. Excellent performance for a 6.5" driver.

So to make use of such great displacement in such a small enclosure, I used a pair of Dayton DS175-PR passive radiators, which have a similar look and size. I tuned these passives to about 35Hz. This small box/low tune alignment yields an early but shallow rolloff, which is the perfect place to use a boosted sub amp. In this case, I used the Yung SD200-6 with a 6dB boost at 35Hz, which combined with a 30Hz highpass on the low end, results in flat frequency response down to 33Hz (F3) and a steep rolloff below that to minimize excursion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180823_114407542.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	797.5 KB
ID:	1385934Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180823_114358581.jpg
Size:	709.4 KB
ID:	1385933Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180823_114446615.jpg
Size:	893.3 KB
ID:	1385935

Simulations and enclosure details to follow.

Dan
    The Hurricanes
    The Baronettes
    Conneccentric
    UX3

The attached simulations were made assuming a 50W input which allows the 200W Yung amp enough power for its 6dB boost (4x power requirement) and the following parameters:

1 x SW168WA01 active driver
    2 x DS175-PR passive radiators
    100g mass on each passive radiator
    0.28 cu ft enclosure
    6dB boost at 35Hz - Q = 2
    12dB/octave highpass @ 30Hz
    12dB/octave lowpass @ 80Hz

Click image for larger version  Name:	TFM.JPG Views:	1 Size:	110.0 KB ID:	1385940Click image for larger version  Name:	SPL.JPG Views:	1 Size:	96.0 KB ID:	1385941Click image for larger version  Name:	Cone X.JPG Views:	1 Size:	91.5 KB ID:	1385938Click image for larger version  Name:	PR X.JPG Views:	1 Size:	92.3 KB ID:	1385939

So, the limits of the PRs are being tested at 10mm excursion when they're only rated for 8mm, but I don't think this is unreasonable based on having used them several times. Also, I've used 13mm for the limit on the SW168, which I think is fair based on the Klippel reports. With the SD200-6, we should only be testing its excursion limits during dynamic peaks at around 25Hz - which should be infrequent at worst. So what we get is a tiny box that can put out 100dB+ flat down to 33Hz. I wouldn't use this for home theater as the response is down substantially below 30Hz, but for music only, this would be a dynamite little sub.

Enclosure details to follow.

Dan
    The Hurricanes
    The Baronettes
    Conneccentric
    UX3

Comment

This box is a very easy build. The enclosure is 10"W x 10"D x 9"H and made from 3/4" MDF. None of these drivers nor the plate amp require flush mounting, so all holes were cut with a jigsaw. I used a single dowel between the top and bottom panel to reduce flexing on those panels. The panels used were:

Top/Bottom - 8.5" x 8.5" qty 2
      Front/Back -- 10" x 9" qty 2
      Sides --------- 8.5" x 9" qty 2

Name:	_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
Size:	565.2 KB
ID:	1385948Click image for larger version

Name:	reduced.jpg
Size:	925.4 KB
ID:	1385952

Panels cut with precision - holes cut with a jigsaw all ratty like.

Name:	IMG_20180823_114640594.jpg
Size:	959.0 KB
ID:	1385951Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180823_114621051.jpg
Size:	949.6 KB
ID:	1385950Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180823_114603561.jpg
Size:	701.9 KB
ID:	1385949
      After glue up, I ran a flush trim bit along the edges. As you can see in the first thread pics, I rounded the corners over as well. I'll probably give it a cheap spray finish and call it a day. Eventually, I'd like to redo the enclosure in a nice solid wood. The nice thing about small enclosures is that material cost is almost nothing! This sub would be an excellent compliment to a pair of Quarks or Overnight Sensations.

Dan
      The Hurricanes
      The Baronettes
      Conneccentric
      UX3

Comment

Nice looking little subwoofer, emphasis on the little.
        All views and opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of Parts Express.

Void where prohibited. Batteries not included. All sales final.

Comment

Heh- tiny ratty holed sub with ba||s. TRHSWB is a bit hard to say though...

It reminds me of my Triumph build quite a bit, but with more power, more output, and just a little bit more size. 'Tis pretty hard to get smaller than a 9" cube though...

Well done, Dan!
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Where did you find it? it did't show up in a search on PE.

Comment

Originally posted by Cancerkazoo View Post
              Where did you find it? it did't show up in a search on PE.
              It's not available yet, but Geoff Schneider said PE was picking up the whole Wavecor line. Very good news for stateside DIYers.

Dan
              The Hurricanes
              The Baronettes
              Conneccentric
              UX3

Comment

Wavecor just hit the website, I don't see this particular driver listed.

Comment

Working...
                X