Dayton Ultimax 15 bandpass.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton Ultimax 15 bandpass.

I asked the question in the techtalk and Chris Roemer was very helpful in bouncing around what I was seeing in WinIsd. I had heard from others that the Ooder free version of WinIsd does not do well with bandpass designs. So this was basically a leap of faith with $50 of wood. I ended up with 4.2-4.3 cu ft on the vented side after driver, vent and bracing. Vent area was right about 60 inches with a length of 32 for a tuning of 32 hz. Sealed side was roughly 3 cu ft. I've not been able to watch any movies at full volume because kids are asleep at night and my wife sleeps during the day on weekends, but based on Music, this thing is super efficient monster. 500 watts from a BASH amp is just amazing. It has usable output into the teens. It literally makes my living room floor flex with me on it, and this sub is on the other end of the house, and on a different level. my only gripe was not getting quite enough port area and there is some chuffing, but in reality it won't matter in a car environment where road noise will easily drown it out. For HT use only, I would go with 80-90 inches of vent area and tune it exactly at 32. For as much low end output it has, there is a peak around 35 hz that is insane. If you have a good EQ, this would be easily fixable, but I don't. If anyone is interested in a cut list, I would be happy to oblige, but it will be tomorrow. Bed time for me.

The B500 has a bit of boost built in (rather high too - IMO).

Comment

Iā€™d like a cut list. See if I could mod it for my 12ā€ or use any of my 15ā€ Thanks

Comment

also interested in cut list and pictures. i have 2 sealed dayton ultimax 15 in 3cuft powered by a nu3000dsp, and going bandpass might be a nice upgrade. Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Comment

Please model using WinISD ("Pro" does 2 types of bandpass); these boxes are W-A-A-A-Y more finicky than just a standard vented one.
          NOTB this particular box design runs between 23-45Hz between -3dB down pts. (Could (should) be even worse in a vehicle.)

MY rec. (based on WinISD):
          "For the same total of 7cf, . . . if the closed (rear) chamber was 5cf, and the front was 2cf w/a 32Hz tuning (60" long vent), it shows a wider (pretty flat) band from the upper teens into the mid 50s (reduced power-handling though - about 350w; and sensitivity, with o.a. SPL down a bit over -6dB)."
          This box runs from 15-60Hz between -3dB down pts. (two full octaves - as opposed to one octave).
          Depends on what you're after, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
            Please model using WinISD ("Pro" does 2 types of bandpass); these boxes are W-A-A-A-Y more finicky than just a standard vented one.
            NOTB this particular box design runs between 23-45Hz between -3dB down pts. (Could (should) be even worse in a vehicle.)

MY rec. (based on WinISD):
            "For the same total of 7cf, . . . if the closed (rear) chamber was 5cf, and the front was 2cf w/a 32Hz tuning (60" long vent), it shows a wider (pretty flat) band from the upper teens into the mid 50s (reduced power-handling though - about 350w; and sensitivity, with o.a. SPL down a bit over -6dB)."
            This box runs from 15-60Hz between -3dB down pts. (two full octaves - as opposed to one octave).
            Depends on what you're after, I guess.
            Thank you for the insight. forgot to mention that I did a vent that is partially external, so I can raise tuning or lower it, if I want to do either.

Comment

It keeps saying my files are too large. I went to camera and made them 1.4 mb, no luck.

Comment

Cut list 2-48*22.5 top and bottom of enclosure, 2-48*15 front and back of the enclosure, 2-22.5*16.5 ends. Baffle is 48*21. Vent is 7*9 32 inches long.

Comment

I think I've got the images small enough to post. There's not a lot to see, because I have the access panel on. Notice it is different wood. That is because I have been working on this thing about 20 minutes at night when I don't feel like crap. In the shuffle, I marked the cutout panel for 14.25 inches, instead of 16.25, so the sub would not fit into it's home.

Comment

Modeling is all and good, but nothing takes precedent over an actual enclosure built and playing in your room. This box has tremendous output below 25 hz, a peak around 33-35, then it flattens back out. Rock has great kick still. In a vehicle, you could move tuning up to 35 or so and still retain the low end. For HT, You could go to 29. I previously had the Ultimax 15 in a roughly 8 cu ft box tuned to 21 and this bandpass design blows it away with it's efficiency. that alone could be very beneficial for someone who either has a stock electrical system in a car or in HT, the 500 plate amp that has not getting the most out of the Ultimax suddenly becomes more than enough.

Comment

I know I said this before, but the low frequency output is tremendous. I have a Dayton DVC 15 firing into the listening area that helps pick up some of the upper bass notes that I thought the Ultimax bandpass was not hitting. I forgot that I unplugged it to do some reconfiguring, so it was just the Ultimax playing. I was upstairs listening to Pandora and Bluetooth sending my Sony HT receiver the signal, so conditions were far from optimal. I turned it to the Bass Mechanix station and a sub 30 hz, (probably below 20 hz from what I did not hear) and the door leading to the basement starting to flex. The basement is over 4000 cu ft, so this single sub was pressuring the basement so much that it was making that cheap interior door flex. At the time I thought both 15's were playing, but I was shocked to see that it was only the Ultimax. Not only that, but there was a pull string control with glass knob on the end for an led shop light that was dancing when sub 20 hz frequencies hit. Evil sine- was the track. 2 10 inch Ultimax would not that in my crew cab truck with 1400 watts going through them. If you have the time and wood, even if you just use this for frequencies below 50 hz or so, it will make you smile, and isn't that what audio is about.

Comment

Working...
                      X