Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts!

Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project.
We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well!

Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans.

We hope to see you this summer!

Vivian and Jill
2 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Finished: LouC's Nugget IIs with built-in amp and BT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished: LouC's Nugget IIs with built-in amp and BT

Hi All,

I finished these twice recently as a graduation present for 1 of my nephews.

I first finished them just before my shoulder surgery on 8/8. Then, before I gave them to him, his Mom and my Wife felt that having a separate receiver wouldn't be good these days...of course, I had already bought 2 Topping MX3 BT amps. I will have to find alternate uses for them, I guess.

So, I waited until a couple of weeks ago (shoulder is getting better each week) and installed the new Lepai LP40PA 40W Mini BT plate amp.
    Installing the amp is quite easy, but I just barely had the space in these small-ish cabs. The little front control panel is a press-fit and a little figgity to get just right. Very little margin for error.

I did modify LouC's dimensions to more closely match the other set of New Horizons I built for his brother and fellow HS graduate. I kept the volume the same, but increased the height a little.

I was determined to use components that I had in stock for both of these builds to reduce the inventory. I had bought all the parts to build these many years ago. They are nice speakers and have a very good mid-range to them. They sound quite good with acoustic music and have a smooth balanced signature. Not real deep bass, but a very nice small room speaker.

I used some left over cherry veneer and painted the baffles rattle-can satin black.

A few build pictures are at: https://postimg.cc/gallery/14uu2srd2/

Nice, Andy! Good to see some of LouC's designs still getting some love. I'm sure he'd be happy with your use of them.
    I've never used those 4" golden-poly TB drivers, but I bet they do sound smooth.

Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

merci pour votre sujet

Whatsapp Messenger Hotstar
      Last edited by zoziano; 11-04-2018, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X