Azure Seas-What I Did With Mark Audio CHP-70A's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azure Seas-What I Did With Mark Audio CHP-70A's

It been a few years since I built a pair of speakers. My youngest son is also in his first year of High School Marching Band, Honors Band and Orchestra. Owen is a band geek with pride. Quick Shout Out to the Mesa AZ, Skyline High School Coyote Marching band for making it to State Championship with an Excellent in Percussion.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, I thought it might be time to build him a pair of speakers for his B-day. Not wanting to go crazy and having a near-term B-day deadline I decided to build something using a pair of Mark Audio CHP-70A's. A full-range, old school sound driver. Read nothing above 10 kHz, full-range driver.

So what does that translate too? The Azure Seas, a 0.5 cu. ft. box with 2" x 4.65" ABS front port. WinISD says an FB of 53 Hz and F3 of 45 Hz. Nothing special until my older son told me the Owen would like a blue colored box. At the time, Mesa temperatures were in the 90's with humidity in the 10-20% range. Note prime painting conditions, especially not rattle can optimal conditions. Veneer and Trans Tint dye to the rescue.

Yeah right, clamping times in the 15 minute time-frame and still wrinkled veneer. Dye took multiple coats to get an even tone on Birch veneer, resulting in a darker color that hides the grain. By now I've decided the only way to finish these boxes is to apply Varathane with sponge brushes at the kitchen table while my son is at school. A couple of times he got rides rather than Dad picking him up. Result, boxes were out on the table. Imagine the mad scramble to get them out of site before he got through the front door.

First Listen Observations: Sound stage was surprisingly wide with good height and decent depth. Bass is nice, rolled off treble as expected. based on mfg's reported frequency range. Overall, a good near-field speaker for small jazz ensembles, acoustic music and pop rock.

OK, OK, the pictures, drawings and simulations. Oh, I forgot to mention the baffles are spalted Birch and were a pain in the azz to align.
    Boxes Finished & Baffles Veneered Cabinets Assembled First Listen w/ B-day Boy & Swan Lake
    If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
    ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

So, what's S1 and S2 on the schemo? 2 diff. filters you tried (S2 being the keeper, I presume)?

Comment

Guess it I wasn't clear about what I was trying to demonstrate. S1 is the non-attenuated driver in the simulated box. S2 is the simulated output with attenuation in the same box.
      If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
      ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

Ed,
        Those baffles are fantastic looking. I like the blue, too.
        Great work, i hope he likes them.
        Andy.

Comment

Andy,
          Thanks for the kind comments. While it might sound as though I was complaining about building them, I actually enjoyed the process and am looking forward to time to build my next project.
          Ed
          ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

Working...
          X