Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help identify this set of vintage 60's or 70's speakers????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help identify this set of vintage 60's or 70's speakers????

I have and opportunity to pick up a pair of unidentified 60's or 70's vintage speakers. Not sure what they are and how much to offer (to be fair to the sellers who don't know much about the speakers). The foam grills look like Marantz foam from the M models, but Marantz always has a square front on the cabinet and these are sculpted like Sansui or something. Only other hint is the speakers have a CEI speaker protection system. Any ideas on the manufacturer, model, and what they might be worth before rehabbing.
    Thanks for any thoughts you can offer. Scott
    I have and opportunity to pick up a pair of unidentified 60's or 70's vintage speakers. Not sure what they are and how much to offer (to be fair to the sellers who don't know much about the speakers). The foam grills look like Marantz foam from the M models, but Marantz always has a square front on the cabinet and these are sculpted like Sansui or something. Only other hint is the speakers have a CEI speaker protection system. Any ideas on the manufacturer, model, and what they might be worth before rehabbing.
    Thanks for any thoughts you can offer. Scott

They look like McIntosh speakers. I know they used that type of grill form in the 60’ and 70’s

Comment

If the seller will let you. Remover the woofer driver and take a look inside. If they are McIntosh they would be worth no more the 300 in 100% shape and working order

Comment

They look late 70's early 80's, based on the removable grille and finished baffle. However those drivers look like replacement drivers, not originals. As such I'll classify this under likely DIY (which would include original speaker boxes equipped with replacement drivers) and as I don't know how they sound, offer as much as I'd expect to pay for the cabinets.
        Brian Steele
        www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

They look like "Superscope", a budget Marantz brand from the 70s; a friend had a pair and we thought they were OK compared to some other commercial offerings.

Not sure of the model and part numbers, of course

Geoff

Comment

Looks like the common CTS tweeter that lots of MFRs used back then (including Marantz).

Comment

The woofer screams RadioShack replacement, it looks identical to the 8” I built years ago. They sounded great for the money considering they were poly drivers. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Jeffery Ames: I agree about the Radio Shack woofers. I am looking at a pair of 12" radio shacks that look just like those in the photos. Thanks for pointing out.

Comment

Those are DEFINITELY NOT McIntosh speakers. Mac never made speakers that looked like those. I agree they could have been originally Marantz (judging by the grill) but the drivers are probably not originals.

Comment

The bottom of the tag says 'A ????? Product' The photo resolution isn't adequate to read what it says.
                    www.billfitzmaurice.com
                    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

get lost - xtal

Comment

Bought them for $25. Sticker says "An American Walnut Product, meaning the cabinets. Pulled one of the woofer. Only says "Made in Taiwan" and some numbers, probably model #s

Comment

Working...
                        X