Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Another Big Cheap Array - Holes, holes and more holes.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a yellow '66 Beetle once ("Saturn" yellow). Total rebuild. Loved that car.
    Those look more like "Chrome" yellow.

128 holes IS a lot ! Lookin' good.

(Hey! I just saw (about) a 1970 rear deck lid!) And there's a transaxle... and an engine case!
    (Now you got me really lookin'... )

What's up w/the "piano" computer KB, and the Packer mouse?
    Now I see a tranny up on the workbench. Is that aNOTHER VW engine (under the tarp) on an engine stand?

... a wirefeed (Miller ?) OK, I'm done (for now).

Comment

The arrays are a brighter yellow than the picture. I cranked up the saturation on the photo, but went a little bit overboard.

Here - this will answer a lot of the VW questions. I need to get re-motivated to finish it. https://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewt...?f=51&t=148453

The keyboard is a cheap Chinese mechanical keyboard (fake Cherry blues) with cast off keycaps from a couple other keyboards. I'm not a football fan, but you can get good prices on Logitech mice if you pick out the ugly colors that no one really wants.

Comment

Tweeter wiring harness in progress. This is going to take awhile....

Comment

48 down, 48 to go.

Comment

Kind of related, since it's all part of the same system...

I decided to ditch the Linux front end. It breaks my heart, but it's just too cumbersome use and keep running.

I stuffed my garage PC into a new case. It was rack mounted, but now I'll have it on my workbench where it'll be easier to get to. A mini ITX board, watercooled, and a soundcard with Toslink digital out. I'm hoping this will isolate the PC power supply noise I was fighting earlier.

That will run to a MiniDSP Nanodigi 2x8 (I already had it from a previous project). From there, I have 4 el-cheapo DAC's. So, a 3-way system - Tweeters and mids on the arrays, and bass from the 10" bass bins. The 4th output is ready if I ever want to build another big horn sub.

Rambling post, I know.

Below is the ITX build - not much room to work in there ;)

Comment

They're ALIVE!!! Mwaha ha ha ha!

Comment

How about some initial listening impressions?

Comment

First - I'm really impressed with those 4" buyouts. The response sounds as smooth and flat as the spec's indicate. I usually expect to apply lots of EQ on cheapo speakers to compensate for their deficiencies, but these sound sweet. Lots of subtleties in tone, detail, and extension to carry the highs up above where the cheapo tweeters would otherwise suffer from weird peaks and resonance.

Right now I have the 4" speakers cut off at 100 hz (48 dB/oct), and crossed over to the tweeters at 6k (24 dB/oct) - no EQ anywhere, and I don't think it will need any. Even with the 100-hz cutoff, there's enough tone in the low end, that they give a nice feeling of bass (the bass bins aren't hooked up yet.)

Initially, I tried the crossover at 4k and then 5k at 48 dB/oct. Argh--run away! Those tweeters do not sound good that low. Once I kicked them up to 6k - super smooth and crispy, with no ear splitting resonance.

Endless headroom and SPL, with no hints of strain, distortion, or non-linearity. Loud and clean (really loud). 80' in front of my garage (in the side yard), you still have to yell to talk over the speakers, but they sound as clean as headphones.

I foresee a visit from the cops in my future....

Comment

Originally posted by chad1376 View Post

I foresee a visit from the cops in my future....
                    I was trying to do the math on how big your garage could possibly be, but I understand now. Hopefully you have a little bit of land between your neighbors, lol!

Comment

Would it possible to run them to say 40-Hz with EQ or do you think the drivers and/or amps would run out of steam?

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                        I was trying to do the math on how big your garage could possibly be, but I understand now. Hopefully you have a little bit of land between your neighbors, lol!
                        I couldn't do this in any other neighborhood. I own the undeveloped lot across from the "blast zone", so there's some buffer and the 10-acres across from my house is undeveloped. The neighbors in the direct line-of-fire work nights/evenings, and aren't home when SPL gets loud. I've asked them multiple times if it bugs them, and let them know I'll be happy to turn it down. Their response is "We like the music, it's not a problem." Another neighbor has a mid-life crisis 80's metal band, and his response is the same. The other neighbors blast quads and motorcycles up the street all weekend, and can be heard singing awful drunken country karaoke on their horrid sounding outdoor PA on any given Saturday evening. It's understood that there's an open invitation to wander over to whichever neighbor has the loudest music (with beer in hand.) It's a lively place to live.

Originally posted by philthien View Post
                        Would it possible to run them to say 40-Hz with EQ or do you think the drivers and/or amps would run out of steam?
                        My sealed box F3 was about 90hz. To get anything substantial at 40-hz would require a huge amount of boost and really limit the overall power handling. Part of the reason my old orange arrays suffered damage was trying this in order to get solid low end out of them (before I built the bass bins.) These are still small 4" speakers, there's just a lot of 'em. I have enough power to cook anything I have, so I need to be smart with EQ.

Comment

Originally posted by chad1376 View Post

I just used a plain 'ol (3-3/4") hole saw. The MDF quickly clogs the saw, so I had to pull it out and clear the teeth about 5 or 6 times for each hole.
                          HINT: drill 1/4" (or larger!) holes on the waste side of the cutline to let the sawdust out and it will go much quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post

HINT: drill 1/4" (or larger!) holes on the waste side of the cutline to let the sawdust out and it will go much quicker.
                            I'll have to remember this for the next project. When I cut mine, I kept the compressed air nozzle in hand. I quick blast every so often to clear the cut and teeth kept things moving pretty well though.

Comment

Final setup

After some frustration on a number of levels with the MiniDigi, and the garbage DAC's, I abandoned all the digital processing (crossover/EQ). I pulled my Behringer 3-way crossover of the shelf, bought a double 31-band EQ, and some other analog accessories I had laying around. Note that after some listening, I did apply some EQ (by ear). It's interesting, since it's very much the inverse of the published response for the mids.

The cheapo DACs have been replaced with one nice Topping DAC. All this opens up the ability to spin vinyl (the turntable is provisional, until I find a better replacement for garage use.)

Streaming digital is routed via a 35' run of toslink. I'm happy with this, since it effectively isolates the audio from weird computer power supply and other noise issues - and has no problems with the long run. It's dead quiet with no music. Dual monitors in my workbench - sure, why not ;)

Speakers are in their final home (yah - the camera makes them look crooked.) After some serious listening over the weekend - digital and LP, I'm super happy. Now it's time to push the VW project back in the garage and get back to work.

Comment

I wish I could hear them.

In fact, turn them up enough and I’ll bet I could!

Comment

Working...
                                X