Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Paradigm Atom rebuild - sorta DIY...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paradigm Atom rebuild - sorta DIY...

I've been sitting on these for a while but after drawing my niece for secret santa I decided that these would make a good gift for her. I already set her up with a decent vintage pioneer amp and a dual turntable, so this should complete the set for her.

Background: I picked these paradigm atoms up along with a thorens turntable and a marantz amp. First time I hooked them up I thought they sounded great...until the foam blew out of them about 3min in. The grills were not removable and after I cut them off I realized there was no real finish underneath (see before pic). I started to think about painting them up when my wife said "you could build nicer cabinets than those" and that was that (she's much smarter than I am...).

I had enough materials left over from my OS TMM tower build to construct the cabinets using hickory veneer and barbados mahogany (from my grandfather's wardrobe) baffles. I figured my niece would appreciate the bit of family history from her great grandfather as well.

The cabs were not straight forward to construct. Both drivers are rear mounted and the baffle has a concave waveguide around the tweeter. But I eventually figured it all out (with a few mistakes here and there and lots of expletives).

These things sound HUGE! I have them sitting on top of my OS TMM towers and honestly it sounds like the towers are playing. Full sound, deep bass. Colour me impressed with these paradigm atoms!
    Before After
    Carbon13

Very nice work. I have had 2 pairs (different versions) of Atoms in the past (prior to starting DIY).
    They are very nice speakers for smaller rooms. I used one set in the study and the other as surrounds for a time.

Your niece will love them.
    Andy.

Comment

Working...
    X