Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3rutu5 Bookshelf (or monitor/PC speakers?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rutu5 Bookshelf (or monitor/PC speakers?)

Guys, not actually sure the proper name so I've been quite broad. After putting the T Lines and Boom box projects side by side I instantly noticed the difference between copying a design online and sizing/tuning an enclosure. Fingers crossed that I follow in the footsteps of the boombox, but in the meantime attached is some progress pictures which I would like to complete this long weekend.

The drivers used are the tectonic TEBM65C20F, which are being up cycled from the TLine, the box itself is 0.17cu.ft and tuned to 58hz. There is a BSC filter of a 2.0mH 18 awg IC and 6.0w resistor in parallel. The unit will be powered by the DTA2 tripath for now (also upcycled from the TLine).

As mentioned previously I'm still learning the audio side of things and have mainly been doing this for the wood working component as sort of a stress release. I have obviously also caught the kerfing bug pretty serverely and like the boom box enjoyed the idea of making the internal with one piece of timber. The ports where recycled from a building site which was a length of electrical conduit, but due to the size being 4/5ths of an inch (or 19-20mm) it was recommended to have twins.
    Attached Files

More progress, sorry photos are back to front...2nd is all glued up ready for a sand and to put the hole in for the driver.
    Attached Files

Comment

How hard is hand sanding in 35 degree days ....almost a wet n dry
      Attached Files

Comment

These should end up looking/being pretty cool.

Comment

Still on the fence with the finishing, just having a clear coat will look out of place where they will be, which leaves the similar look to the T Lines with the black sides and natural in the middle. I don't think staining really work on pine, as in ending up how it was intended

Comment

These will be finished tomorrow once the paint has had 24hrs to dry ...side by side comparison, old v new. Will keep the T Lines on a shelf as they were the first build.

Had some issue trimming around the port, which shows, but I'll find a sharpie, touch it up and put a bit of clear and it's enough.
            Attached Files

Comment

All done.....they sound great for cheap drivers, nice bass and no distortion all the way up, they did rattle on the bench a bit, but I'll fix that later ( not like I'll be having full volume normally). If anything it bottlenecks at the 2*10w @ 8ohms amp, but honestly I don't know if I would want to risk much more than 30w, which I know works on the boom box

Had a slight setback last night where I made a sticker and put it on one, but it smudged a bit and I had to light sand it back, which was a blessing in disguise as I didn't know a light sanding then further coat gives a better finish.
              Attached Files

Comment

Do they sound pretty much like the boombox, or no?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                  Do they sound pretty much like the boombox, or no?
                  side by side i think they do sound similar, but i could be mistaken that they actually handle bass a bit better again. I like them the only difference is the enclosure size and port really. I had some acoustic foam/padding (looks like egg crates) that i bought for the hifi cabinet and lined the back with it, which i think does the job.

ps i've appreciated the help again, been valuable.

i think this will be my last entry into speaker building for a while, i have everything i need for now after building the HIFI cabinet, T-Lines (enclosure only now), boombox and these.

Cheers all.

Comment

A quick update a few months after daily use, these speakers suit my needs perfectly. I have been amazed at how a driver so small really packs a punch in the lower frequencies, we have had people asking where are we hiding the bigger speaker. Considering I have basically used the same driver on every application to date, these are clearly the best use of my builds. The DTA 2 amp is the perfect place pair for the driver.

The boombox previously build, ran the DA 230 KAB board, which under the same conditions (source PC with EQ settings) I managed to get it to distort and the lower notes weren't as noticable, which could be the difference in enclosure sizing and other items stuffed into the box.10w per channel at 8 ohm (powered by 12v) is pretty good when in a small open house.The final.box size.was an accident as I miscalculated the arc length on the kerf cut with resulted in an internal volume of between 0.17 to 0.18cuft. if there is anything I would have liked to try, would be having a tweeter, but apart from that nothing else.

​​​​

Comment

Working...
                    X