Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts!

Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project.
We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well!

Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans.

We hope to see you this summer!

Vivian and Jill
2 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

First Build - Classix 2.5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Build - Classix 2.5

Hi everyone, I’m new to speaker building. It all started because I wanted nice speakers for our bedroom. The TV's speakers sound terrible. My criteria was something I could wall mount that would look nice next to the flat screen, sound good and not cost an arm and a leg. I couldn't find a commercial solution. So, I figured, why not build them myself. Well after a lot of reading and research, I learned it was best to start by building a proven design. I changed direction and started by building a set of Classix 2.5 floor speakers as a gift for my brother.

I want to give a big thank you to Paul Carmody for sharing his designs with the community. I learned a lot in doing this first build as I'm completely new to woodworking. There were several mistakes and rework along the way. In the end I was satisfied with the result and my brother was thrilled.

Before I get into the project itself, let me share a little about me. I have a passion for European cars, high performance driving and all things tech including hi-fi audio, home theater and home automation.

Project details
    Classix 2.5 design modified for removable back (in case I screwed something up along the way).
    Cabinet made from 3/4" Baltic Birch. Locking miter joints.
    Front baffle is recessed into the sides.
    Front and back are painted
    Sides are finished with Danish Oil
    In process and finished pictures attached.

My next project is going to be a small subwoofer. Ultimately, I'm going to need one to go with those bedroom speakers that started this whole thing.

Tarun

Finished locking miter joint front baffle

More build pictures.

Comment

Great job and I'm sure that you will be happy with your choice. There are proven subwoofer designs on this forum using a Tang Band W6-1139 which many users have built and are satisfied with.

Comment

final pictures

Comment

They look great, well done. These are on my 'to build' list but I'm sure mine won't look half as good...

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by randyohoh View Post
            Great job and I'm sure that you will be happy with your choice. There are proven subwoofer designs on this forum using a Tang Band W6-1139 which many users have built and are satisfied with.
            Thanks Randy. I've been looking at the W6-1139 and may try to design something myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
              They look great, well done. These are on my 'to build' list but I'm sure mine won't look half as good...

Geoff
              Thanks Geoff.

Comment

Working...
              X