Paul C's Hitmakers -- a hit with my son

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul C's Hitmakers -- a hit with my son

Built a few years ago now, Paul Carmody's Hitmakers have been a real hit with my son, which he uses daily as Paul intended, as nearfield studio monitors. By making them slightly taller and shallower, I was able to locate the port on the front. Width and volume were maintained per Paul's spec. The front baffle is made of 1 1/8" particleboard, which provides a bit more "meat" into which the chrome grill bars can be installed. To mount the bars, I notched the submerged portion with a hacksaw and used wood glue, tapping them down with a rubber mallet onto a spacer bar for uniform height. Front sides have a 7/8" roundover. Aside from the front baffle, all other walls are 3/4" mdf. Internally I have 2 windowpane braces made of 5/8" particleboard, into which I mounted the crossover components and anchored the rear of the port with an mdf rounded over collar to discourage chuffing. All interior walls are lined with convoluted foam mattress topper, adhered with hot glue. I searched for some time to find a blue paint that I felt made both the black and silver of the drivers pop equally. I settled on Glidden GLB04, Soft Sapphire, in flat latex, which I applied with a craft roller and covered with a spray satin clearcoat. My thinking with the grill bars was that if he was using them for location recording they'd provide a bit of protection while in transport, and I felt that the chrome tied in nicely with the silver midwoofer. On the back I installed a threaded insert to be used with a threaded knob to secure them to the custom made stands I made. Many thanks to Paul for sharing his design, and to board members for sharing with me their expertise along my speaker building journey. The photo attached, by far the prettiest picture of them I have, was taken by Bill S (4thtry) at a Meniscus get-together in Grand Rapids. Thanks, Bill.

Very nice looking and I agree on your choice of the blue. Looks great.
    Grill bars are a nice touch, a little protection without losing the great speaker look.
    Andy.

Comment

Those cabinets look like the kind of cabinets I build. I think they look great! Love that blue. I have a nice '82 CJ7 that's just a shade lighter. It's called Grabber Blue.

Comment

Originally posted by dstmbgh View Post
        Built a few years ago now, Paul Carmody's Hitmakers have been a real hit with my son, which he uses daily as Paul intended, as nearfield studio monitors. By making them slightly taller and shallower, I was able to locate the port on the front. Width and volume were maintained per Paul's spec. The front baffle is made of 1 1/8" particleboard, which provides a bit more "meat" into which the chrome grill bars can be installed. To mount the bars, I notched the submerged portion with a hacksaw and used wood glue, tapping them down with a rubber mallet onto a spacer bar for uniform height. Front sides have a 7/8" roundover. Aside from the front baffle, all other walls are 3/4" mdf. Internally I have 2 windowpane braces made of 5/8" particleboard, into which I mounted the crossover components and anchored the rear of the port with an mdf rounded over collar to discourage chuffing. All interior walls are lined with convoluted foam mattress topper, adhered with hot glue. I searched for some time to find a blue paint that I felt made both the black and silver of the drivers pop equally. I settled on Glidden GLB04, Soft Sapphire, in flat latex, which I applied with a craft roller and covered with a spray satin clearcoat. My thinking with the grill bars was that if he was using them for location recording they'd provide a bit of protection while in transport, and I felt that the chrome tied in nicely with the silver midwoofer. On the back I installed a threaded insert to be used with a threaded knob to secure them to the custom made stands I made. Many thanks to Paul for sharing his design, and to board members for sharing with me their expertise along my speaker building journey. The photo attached, by far the prettiest picture of them I have, was taken by Bill S (4thtry) at a Meniscus get-together in Grand Rapids. Thanks, Bill.
        Your welcome! Nice choice of colors and grill material. I like how the vertical chrome bars contrast against the bright blue paint and black drivers. Well done. As Waboo mentioned, it looks fairly close to grabber blue. My brother painted his Ford Fairlane grabber blue back in the 70's and this speaker reminded me of that automobile.

I shot this picture without flash, using the window in the background as a accenting type rim light. Worked out quite well. Glad you liked it.

Bill
        SideTowers: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...corundum-build
        Totally Flat: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5-totally-flat
        Plumber's Delight: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...notech-winners
        Linehopper: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...Esoteric-build

Comment

Working...
        X