Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Another small speaker build with the nd91

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake
    started a topic Another small speaker build with the nd91

Another small speaker build with the nd91

Like alot of us, I decided I wanted to build a small "bang for the buck" speaker. A speaker that sounds larger than its size. I decided to use the nd91-4, and pair it with the low cost Dayton td20f-4. This will be rear ported, and due to that, and size constraints it will have a realistic tuning of about 70hz using .75" pvc. Most people seem to use the denovo flat pack paired with the nd91, but since the tweeter diameter is a bit large I built my own enclosures making them .5" taller than the flat pack. This increases the internal volume slightly to .048cf. I used a rabbit bit to slightly recess the tweeter, but it will stick out some to match the front mounted nd91. I also recessed the back of the woofer cutout to allow for some breathing room. Unfortunately this will be a boring square box. The tweeter placement just doesn't allow for a roundover.

• Jake
    replied
    Scarface1: roughly 5600hz. The tweeter has a 6.8uf cap and the L-pad mentioned in the previous post.

Leave a comment:

• Scarface1
    replied
    Thanks Jake, what highpass did it give you. What frequency? Try to find it but can't find it, maybe i'm overlooking it.

Leave a comment:

• Jake
    replied
    Originally posted by Scarface1 View Post
    Nice speaker πŸ˜ƒ but is there a highpass for the nd91 for over excursion( I think not, but maybe i'm wrong)
    They filter for the ND91 consists of a 1.0mh coil in parallel with a 15ohm resistor and a 3.3uf cap shunt to ground.

Leave a comment:

• Scarface1
    replied
    Nice speaker πŸ˜ƒ but is there a highpass for the nd91 for over excursion( I think not, but maybe i'm wrong)

Leave a comment:

• Jake
    replied
    After living with these for awhile I'm pretty happy with them. The Nd91's took quite a long time to break in, but finally lived up to their reputation. The L-pad of 3.7ohm and .82ohm worked out very well for me. The only thing I would change is to lower the 15ohm to a 12.5ohm across the lowpass inductor. Nonetheless a fun speaker.

Leave a comment:

• Jake
    replied
    Originally posted by thekorvers View Post
    Nice job. I like the looks of the second iteration better: the completely white cabinet with the offsetting black of the drivers.
    Thanks, the color is actually called frappe. It's kind of like a light smoke, but appears white in some lighting. I'm enjoying these, all the changes made a much better speaker.

Leave a comment:

• thekorvers
    replied
    Nice job. I like the looks of the second iteration better: the completely white cabinet with the offsetting black of the drivers.

Leave a comment:

• Jake
    replied
    Finished the rebuild with the higher crossover point and higher port tune (76hz). These tweeters, broken in, are fairly bright. What I originally thought was a heavy L-pad was not. I ended up with a 3.7 and a .82 ohm L-pad. Most might prefer a 3.3, but I wanted a relaxed sound at higher volumes. I also paralleled a 15 ohm with the lowpass inductor. The end result is much better than the original build. Having never used the nd91 it follows suit with all small speakers. Sounds best at high volumes, and won't fill a large room. Neverless, an impressive speaker relative to size.

Leave a comment:

• Jake
    replied
    During assembly today i noticed something I read about others mentioning. Inconsistencies regarding the Nd90's voice coil leads being too short. You can clearly see one of the Nd91's lead is much shorter than the others. Hopefully, it won't be a problem.
    Normal leads on the left Close up

Leave a comment:

• Jake
    replied
    I decided to do the rebuild. Some changes made to the crossover. I chose a higher cross at 5600hz for a little fraction more Bsc. I also went first order on the high pass with about 3db more off on the L-pad. I changed the port tune to 76Hz for more usable output. Got the crossovers in, and gluing the enclosures as we speak.

Leave a comment:

• Jake
    replied
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/member/3901-tomzarbo
    Thanks for the kind words Tom. I initially thought I had the nd91 drivers pretty well broken in, but I believe they have a little to go. The speakers sound big. Those tweeters seem to really project throughout the house. The low end seems a tad behind, but I believe it will open up more. I'm not happy I had to jerry rig the lowpass. I'm considering a rebuild.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Looks good, Jake.

How do you like what you're hearing? It is hard to get Xover parts in these tiny cabinets for sure. They look good. I always have a few boogers in my cabinets somewhere it seems. Sometimes others can see them, sometimes not, but I know they're there... so I feel 'ya. Those ND91-4's are cool little drivers, right?
    Looks good from the pic, though! Nice work.

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• Jake
    replied
    Finished the speakers tonight. Hooked them up and noticed something very wrong, I only could hear the highs. Removed the drivers and realized I wired up the lowpass section in the orientation of the highpass. 😭 I guess you shouldn't attempt to build when your sick and on cold medicine. Through all the fanangling I was about to reorient the crossover correctly with the tiny space alotted. Unfortunately, during that process the Cabinents got pretty dinged up, and one of the woofers got a small dent. So yeah, I'm pretty deflated. I'm considering a rebuild.
    Dented woofer on the left. πŸ˜”
    Last edited by Jake; 03-08-2019, 01:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jake
    replied
    The cossover I point I chose is 4600hz. This was chosen off of what would work, and availability of parts. The highpass is a second order Butterworth with a 3.3ohm and 1.5ohm L-pad. I prefer a more relaxed top end, so its pretty padded. The lowpass section is a second order Linkwitz. GIven the size of the tiny enclosures I had to hot glue the tweeter section of the crossover to the floor of the enclosure, and glue the woofer section to the side wide close to the tweeter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X