Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Another small subwoofer with W6-1139SIF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another small subwoofer with W6-1139SIF

This was primarily a learning exercise for design and woodworking. I need a small subwoofer to pair with a set B&W M-1s. The M1s will be replaced with something I build in the near future. But space for the sub is very limited. This setup is used for music but not critical listening. No home theater. I'm thinking I may build a Voxel or another proven design to compare.

Overall I'm pleased with the result. I would do a couple things differently next time. Like, routing a recess for the plate amp so it sits flush. For the finish I tried a vinyl made in Germany. It took 2 tries to get it right. In the end it turned out OK. It was a challenge to get the edges to look professional. I'm new woodworking so I wasn't ready to attempt veneer.

Tang Band W6-1139SIF
    Yung SD100-6
    Modeled F3 @ 40Hz
    9 inch cube constructed from 3/4" MDF
    d-c-fix 346-8007 Decorative Self-Adhesive Film, Blackwood
    no fill or lining

More pics
    Attached Files

Comment

Even more pics
      Attached Files

Comment

Final spot
        Attached Files

Comment

Pretty nice glue up technique for a beginner, nice results.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
            Pretty nice glue up technique for a beginner, nice results.
            Thanks! I appreciate the comments. This is my second build and first design. If you are going to do something, do it right. I watched a few (lot) YouTube videos. I had never used a table saw or router before my first build. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

+1... Excellent miter job on those. Your tolerances look way better than any of my cuts, of course I don't have a table saw, but still.
              Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
              Wogg Music
              Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat

Comment

Nice project. I've used this driver several times now and it is a real workhorse. Amazing bass from such a small woofer.
                SideTowers: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...corundum-build
                Totally Flat: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5-totally-flat
                Plumber's Delight: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...notech-winners
                Linehopper: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...Esoteric-build

Comment

wogg 4thtry Thanks!

Comment

Any frequency response / distortion measurements?
                    Brian Steele
                    www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
                      Hi Brian, I'm new to this hobby. I'm still reading up on how to take measurements. I don't currently have the tools but plan to acquire soon. BTW, lots of good reading on your website. Thanks for sharing.

t.

Comment

Hi Brian, here is my first attempt at taking measurements with REW and UMIK-1.
                        Attached Files

Comment

That looks pretty decent. The speaker's resonance frequency (Fb is where the phase changes around 34(?) Hz. If you put the cursor over where the phase changes, you can read Fb off of it. For the distortion graph, check to see where the THD passes 10%. Test at different input levels to the sub.
                          Brian Steele
                          www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

That looks pretty decent. The speaker's resonance frequency (Fb is where the phase changes around 34(?) Hz. If you put the cursor over where the phase changes, you can read Fb off of it. For the distortion graph, check to see where the THD passes 10%. Test at different input levels to the sub.
                            Fb is 34.6Hz. THD hits 10.1% at 30 Hz. This helps confirm what I'm hearing. It appears to have met my objective. I don't follow what you mean by "test at different input levels." I set the computer's output to 50% and then adjusted the sub volume to 75dB before making the sweeps. Could you please elaborate? Thx.

Comment

Originally posted by tkundhi View Post
                              I don't follow what you mean by "test at different input levels."
                              THD will vary not only with frequency, but the SPL level the subwoofer is producing. Test it at different output levels to see how the THD varies, and how the frequency response varies as well. It's easy to very the test signal level in REW in 1dB or 3dB steps in order to take these measurements.

Brian Steele
                              www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Working...
                              X