Classix 2.5 build finished

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classix 2.5 build finished

Well, they are mostly finished. I still need to make up some spikes or short stands.

They took me a little over 6 months to build, but that's because I mixed in a cross country move right in the middle of it.

The baffles are walnut with a couple of strips of maple mixed in, because everything is better with racing stripes.

A few pictures:

Those look like fun! Hope you enjoy 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
      Those look like fun! Hope you enjoy 'em.
      I am enjoying them so far!

I don't know if you remember, but way back when I started these you helped me out with the crossover layout.

Thanks again for your help with that.

Richard

Comment

I like them, nice work.

Comment

Look great, how do you like the sound?

And how did you route the drivers so well on the hardwood, really well done.

Thanks

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by 3rutu5 View Post
            I like them, nice work.
            Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
              Look great, how do you like the sound?

And how did you route the drivers so well on the hardwood, really well done.

Thanks

Geoff
              I like the sound a lot, they are a huge upgrade over my DCM Timepiece bookshelves from the early 90s.

I purchased a Jasper jig for my router and used a brand new spiral downcutting bit. From my research, upcutting bits are better for clearing the chips out, but downcutting is less prone to tear-outs. I just made sure I always went clockwise and only left a little bit of material for the final pass.

I am a novice woodworker, so don't take my method for routing the driver holes as gospel, but it worked well for me.

Thanks,

Richard

Comment

Nice work dad! The maple pops. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Jakes_dad View Post

I like the sound a lot, they are a huge upgrade over my DCM Timepiece bookshelves from the early 90s.

I purchased a Jasper jig for my router and used a brand new spiral downcutting bit. From my research, upcutting bits are better for clearing the chips out, but downcutting is less prone to tear-outs. I just made sure I always went clockwise and only left a little bit of material for the final pass.

I am a novice woodworker, so don't take my method for routing the driver holes as gospel, but it worked well for me.

Thanks,

Richard
                  Thanks, those techniques certainly worked for you. For some reason in Oz, router bits are just 'router bits' and none are labelled as 'up' or 'down' cutting bits. When I asked at Bunnings they looked at me as though I was from Mars, so I'll have a look online.

I'm sure my 2.5s won't look as good as yours - but hopefully they will sound great!

Geoff

Comment

I don't think a straight bit has an up or down, but "spiral" bits do.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                      Nice work dad! The maple pops. Enjoy!
                      Thanks son!

The baffles turned out even better than I hoped.

I guess it's true that even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while...

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post

Thanks, those techniques certainly worked for you. For some reason in Oz, router bits are just 'router bits' and none are labelled as 'up' or 'down' cutting bits. When I asked at Bunnings they looked at me as though I was from Mars, so I'll have a look online.

I'm sure my 2.5s won't look as good as yours - but hopefully they will sound great!

Geoff
                        I looked on the Bunnings website and they just had straight cut bits.

This is the one I used, you can probably search and find one online:

Comment

Thank you, will check it out

Geoff

Comment

WOW! Those are beautiful! Love the "Classix" racing stripes!! I recall reading somewhere that Mr. Carmody has a particular fondness for white speakers ;)
                            Carbon13

Comment

Working...
                            X