Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScottyP
    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by aliouindie

I don't know how far apart your coils are .
    The boards are 8.5" x 9.5" if that helps.

Comment

• ScottyP
      • Feb 2019

Cabinet building is nearly completed. I arched the top of the front baffle with the router.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Arched.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1418566
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ScottyP; 08-05-2019, 04:07 PM. Reason: Fixed pic size

Comment

• ScottyP
        • Feb 2019

More front baffle router work.

Name:	Router work.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1418560

Comment

• ScottyP
          • Feb 2019

The sides are braced together using 3 x 3/4" dowels.

Name:	pre clamps.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1418562

Comment

• ScottyP
            • Feb 2019

Ran out of clamps, used gravity.

Name:	Clamps.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	1418564

Comment

• ScottyP
              • Feb 2019

Huge thanks to Paul Carmody for this design and all the excellent documentation. I mounted speakers and have the XO temporarily clipped in. These sound FANTASTIC! I believe these will be my "forever" speakers. Again, Paul C, many thanks!

Comment

• djg
                Seasoned Veteran
                • May 2008

Impressive. How are you going to finish them?

Comment

• ScottyP
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by djg
                  Impressive. How are you going to finish them?
                  Thank you! I have not yet decided. I imagine I will brush/roller a glue/water primer coat. Beyond that, who knows. Any ideas?

Comment

• djg
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • May 2008

Well, putting a fine paint finish on mdf takes a lot of work, seams can show through. A textured paint finish is easier. I have used stone texture paint frequently.

Veneer with a painted baffle is an option. That speaker has a really big baffle, black might be overpowering.

Duratex is a roll on coating originally for commercial PA cabs.

Comment

• djg
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • May 2008

One builder's method to paint mdf. Looking at your pic with the cab on its side, you have two long seams where the baffle attaches. Those are visible. If you did a color break along those seams they would be minimzed.

Continuum Speakers Using my Trench Method on the MDF Seams - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

Comment

• ScottyP
                        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by djg
                        One builder's method to paint mdf. Looking at your pic with the cab on its side, you have two long seams where the baffle attaches. Those are visible. If you did a color break along those seams they would be minimzed.
                        I like the idea of a color break along the longer seams. Thanks for that. Maybe a maple baffle and edge with black otherwise. Food for thought.

Comment

• kevintomb
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by ScottyP
                          Huge thanks to Paul Carmody for this design and all the excellent documentation. I mounted speakers and have the XO temporarily clipped in. These sound FANTASTIC! I believe these will be my "forever" speakers. Again, Paul C, many thanks!
                          I started to build these quite a while back, then suffered a bad back injury and never got them completed.
                          Was not able to build the cabinets and do a lot of the physical work to build them, so sorta gave up for a while.

You inspired me to get back in the garage again though!!

Can you give some more descriptive comments on the sound, and what type of music you like to listen to please?

Comment

• ScottyP
                            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by kevintomb

I started to build these quite a while back, then suffered a bad back injury and never got them completed.
                            Was not able to build the cabinets and do a lot of the physical work to build them, so sorta gave up for a while.

You inspired me to get back in the garage again though!!

Can you give some more descriptive comments on the sound, and what type of music you like to listen to please?
                            Sorry to hear of the injury and glad you are ready to jump back in.

Listening to lossless files from Mac Mini using Bit Perfect to deliver files to Schiit Modi DAC. Amp is an old Yamaha CR-2010.
                            MIds are incredibly natural. integration of low/mid/high is seamless to my ears. Bass digs deep, release is quick and there is nice detail. Lots of the room and "air" up high. Soundstage is wide and there is some depth as well. Guessing this may get even better with more careful positioning. Most listening has been with acoustic music between 65 and 90 db (Jazz, Orchestral, Big Band, Opera) but am listening to SRV as I type this. That Strat is so glassy and smooth. These speakers should rock and slam as well. More on that later.

I am going to give myself several days before I compare with other speakers here in the house. I have the ELAC B6.2, some small powered studio monitors (Adam A7) and a pair of JBL 4312B monitors.

Comment

• kevintomb
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by ScottyP

Sorry to hear of the injury and glad you are ready to jump back in.

Listening to lossless files from Mac Mini using Bit Perfect to deliver files to Schiit Modi DAC. Amp is an old Yamaha CR-2010.
                              MIds are incredibly natural. integration of low/mid/high is seamless to my ears. Bass digs deep, release is quick and there is nice detail. Lots of the room and "air" up high. Soundstage is wide and there is some depth as well. Guessing this may get even better with more careful positioning. Most listening has been with acoustic music between 65 and 90 db (Jazz, Orchestral, Big Band, Opera) but am listening to SRV as I type this. That Strat is so glassy and smooth. These speakers should rock and slam as well. More on that later.

I am going to give myself several days before I compare with other speakers here in the house. I have the ELAC B6.2, some small powered studio monitors (Adam A7) and a pair of JBL 4312B monitors.
                              Thanks for the descriptions!

Tough to imagine the sound without hearing them firsthand. I know I should just get back to building them and hear them first hand!!
                              Looking forward to your comparisons.

Comment

• robinjamess
                                • Mar 2021

Originally posted by aliouindie

Comment

Working...