Estate Sale Find Canton C Plus 12" Passive Subwoofer $25 Impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estate Sale Find Canton C Plus 12" Passive Subwoofer $25 Impressions

Well not really a project here, but I wanted to share how impressed I was with the build quality and output. Found it at an estate sale for $25! Added some rubber feet. Has a grill not pictured. I have it paired with the over night sensations, using an SMSL AD18 amplifier, desktop setup. It's hard to believe you can achieve this level of clean sound without much money. I'm doubting the claimed frequency response of 22Hz, but it will play decently low. It's flat, and needs power. Maybe I'm late to the game with Canton, but if you're looking for a passive budget sub and you see a Plus C, snag it.

I bought this exact sub once, used - forgot how I got it exactly. I was not all that impressed with it, but since the cab and metal grill were nice I ripped out the driver and crossover and installed a new, better 12" subwoofer driver that I had lying around. I am now driving it with a 100W amp and flatten the response with a little LT boost to extend it into the low 30's. When loaded in the corner it works very well paired with a 6" + horn satellite system for some casual listening.
    Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Fi Luggage View Post
      ... if you're looking for a passive budget sub and you see a Plus C, snag it.
      Nice find and I agree on the build quality! I think these get abandoned as folks upgrade to multi-channel receivers and these are passive. I did what the previous poster suggested and swapped out the driver and use a plate amp: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...-plus-c-reboot

My Builds - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

Made in West Germany Not bad for $25

Comment

Originally posted by charlielaub View Post
          I bought this exact sub once, used - forgot how I got it exactly. I was not all that impressed with it, but since the cab and metal grill were nice I ripped out the driver and crossover and installed a new, better 12" subwoofer driver that I had lying around. I am now driving it with a 100W amp and flatten the response with a little LT boost to extend it into the low 30's. When loaded in the corner it works very well paired with a 6" + horn satellite system for some casual listening.
          Do you remember what driver it was?

Comment

Working...
          X