Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Apollo MTM Passive Radiator Version

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo MTM Passive Radiator Version

Went with passive radiator design utilizing DSA270-PR (one for each woofer). No measurements yet. Will be posting when I take them.. They sound pretty good though. Spent the last couple of days in the shop burning them in on quite a bit of material form Tidal.

Took my first swing @ wood veneer as well. Not too bad.

Thought I would post a few pics.

BSME
    Kannapolis NC

Nice job, nice workshop.

Comment

As promised, here is a measurement overlay of both speakers. Looks pretty smooth with good BSC. Not sure what is causing the -4db dip @ 13000. Could be a measurement anomaly or the fact that I changed the front baffle size slightly. Either way, it doesnt seem audible to my 60 year old ears. They sound really good. Also, this is the first time I have used Omnimic so not sure I got it exactly right.

Click image for larger version  Name:	APOLLO 1-2.PNG Views:	1 Size:	323.9 KB ID:	1413901

Click image for larger version  Name:	measurement.jpg Views:	1 Size:	366.2 KB ID:	1413902
      BSME
      Kannapolis NC

Comment

Very nice job - looks good and (by your measurement) should sound very good. The dip is more than likely the tweeter diffraction on the edge of the cabinet and will probably smooth out some off-axis, 10-20-degrees. As you mentioned - most would not be able to hear it, without really good hearing.
        Paul

The "SB's" build page
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

Comment

How is the perceived bass?

Comment

Originally posted by westrock2000 View Post
            How is the perceived bass?
            Bass is strong. The WinISD model looked good with 90g added to each PR. I am still doing some tuning but so far I have gone to 120g per. That made the bass perception a bit more defined and a bit deeper but I need to do some more listening and breaking in. I also changed from my bench amp to one of my listening amps and it cleaned it up more. I certainly have a lot to work with. There is no lack of bass at all. I am going to check the tuning with measurements this weekend if I have time and if not I will surely take some soon. I constructed the boxes out of 1" mdf and they are fully lined with 3 layer sonic barrier so they are fairly dead. I haven't done anything with stuffing yet but I have confidence I can work out the bass to sound like I want. To my ears the bass needs a bit more definition @ high volume. They do not sound strained. They just need a little more cone control high output levels.

Matthew
            BSME
            Kannapolis NC

Comment

Working...
            X