flush mount on C-note woofers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flush mount on C-note woofers

For my first loudspeaker project I chose to try the C-note. I was attracted by the entry-level price, the good reviews and the fact that it comes with pre-cut panels, given that I do not have a table saw. My only reservation going in was in the area of cosmetics - I wasn't crazy about the overlap of the woofer frame with the bottom of the tweeter horn. I went ahead with the purchase decision anyway, thinking I might like it more once I saw it in front of me.

Well, I didn't. I was told the placement of the woofer was based on time alignment of the the drivers' voice coils and approximation of a point source, all of which made sense, but I still couldn't get around the appearance of the overlap. Don't know why it annoyed me, but I decided to flush mount the woofer on the existing center, which would require trimming the tweeter horn.

Long story short: although I haven't completed the build, I though I would let others know it's doable. I used a 1/2 inch rabbet bit with a depth of 4mm to create the new woofer mount. Once that was done, I set the tweeter in place, screwed it down, and made another pass with the same setup. The tweeter horn cut very cleanly with only a little melt to be scraped off.

The 1/2 inch turned out to be about 1mm too large, but I can live with it. The body will be painted with something in the coral family, but the mount area will be black, so the gap should not stand out. If I was doing it again I'd try to dial it in a little tighter though.

Anyway, this has probably been done before, but I thought this might be helpful to those thinking about it. Will post an update when they're done!

small, but even gap After rabbeting, with brace visible

Did you do your trimming with a router?

Comment

The rabbeting of the woofer mount and the general trimming of the box edges was done on a benchtop router table. It's a Ryobi router/table kit that came with an assortment of bits, one of which already show signs of dulling. I also used it to clean up the radius on the front panel. The setup for precision cuts requires some patience, but once set it's pretty solid.

Comment

Originally posted by sluggo View Post
        The rabbeting of the woofer mount and the general trimming of the box edges was done on a benchtop router table. It's a Ryobi router/table kit that came with an assortment of bits, one of which already show signs of dulling. I also used it to clean up the radius on the front panel. The setup for precision cuts requires some patience, but once set it's pretty solid.
        Thanks. I will do that next time. I built the C-notes before and will no doubt be doing another pair in the future. I really love the look.

Comment

despite the 1mm gap you say is too large, it still looks nice. cool job dude

Comment

Okay, so I finished up the build. I'm very happy with the performance of the speakers .. really, surprisingly happy. They're much better than I had any right to expect for the price paid. On that basis alone, I have no regrets at all. Then again, this is the one aspect of the build that I had no part in - the system is designed to make it very hard to screw up in terms of the performance of the finished product. Coming into this from an engineering background, I knew the real challenge was going to be in reaching an acceptable level of cosmetic quality, given my complete lack of woodworking and painting skills. If I did anything right in this regard, it was in scaling my expectations of the final project's cosmetic quality to the level of the tools, materials, and expertise I could bring to the table. I knew they were probably going to end up with some flaws and would be (excellent) garage speakers, but I wanted to learn from my mistakes along the way, so I challenged myself but didn't sweat it all that much when the unexpected happened.

The major take-aways:
            - Do not be tempted to use spackle. That way lies madness. Be patient during glue-up and work hard to line up your corners as perfectly as you can and you should be able to avoid using any filler at all.
            - Buy a random orbital sander. They're not expensive and will save a lot of time and aggravation.
            - Zinnser BIN is probably the best product for working with MDF at this level.
            - Microfiber towels are cheap and re-usable and pick up dust as well as a tack rag.
            - When you get to 400 grit the weight of the sander is all the pressure you really need.
            - Trim excess PVA glue on the outside of the box before it completely dries. It's a decent sealer but is tough to sand and makes an iffy base for primer.
            - Buy more finish paint than you think you'll need. I ended up a bit thin on the final coats.
            - Don't be in a hurry, especially if this is your first build. Take your time to avoid mistakes, but if you make one, pause and think about how you could have prevented it.
            - Don't make the same mistake twice.
            - Better to make a dozen mistakes on a $100 build than to repeat them on a more expensive project.
            - Rattle-can technique is non-trivial. On your next Home Depot trip, grab some paint stirring sticks and practice on those. The wood is very porous, so if you can get a good finish on them you can probably do anything.
            - Also while in Home Depot, check out the flooring area. There are free samples behind the display items that are about 4" x 5", perfect size for a crossover. Your cabinet may be 1/2" MDF, but your crossover can reside on 3/4" solid hickory, nicely stained.

Cheers!

Last edited by sluggo; 06-25-2019, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Nice take-aways and nice job on the speakers!

Comment

Working...
              X