Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One.

Comment

Two. I still have to cut holes for the ports and terminal cups, and the front rim lumber has some thickness variation requiring sanding.

Comment

Comment

Excellent work, you are on the home stretch. Watco for the finish?
          My Builds - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

Wow those look great djg. Can't wait to see how the grain pops with some finish on it. You work fast!
            Craig

The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

Comment

You have made short, quick work of this build.
              Looks great in mahogany with the recessed black face, very vintage, very Original Large Advent-ish.
              Andy.

BTW - that is a heck of a desk top build...a bit larger than most you see (mine are Heliums)

Comment

I'm definitely hooked on PSA veneer. I did both boxes in a few hours. Right now, some Minwax Ipswich pine stain I used on my new window jams looks really nice on a sample. I'm not sure how shiny I want to go.

Desktop, LOL. Yeah, they fit in the theme of Wolf's name of "Zingers", a large engine stuffed into a silly small chassis. We'll see how they work in that venue. I may need to back my chair up a bit.

Thank Wolf for the inspiration and design. I know I have changed his box layout, especially the recessed baffle. Done purely for looks. I'm pondering how to do a foam grill that will clear the woofer surround.

Comment

I'm thrilled you chose my design for a build, djg. I also hope they suit you well and make you smile!
                  Later,
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I've been wanting to make a retro speaker and also build one of Wolf's projects. This seemed to click.

Comment

They're looking good!
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Put the stain on, too wet to handle. I'll get some decent pics after finishing. This will take a while. Most of the info on the web on mahogany finish was about deep dark red using lots of products. This is a light stain, I like it.

Comment

Minwax has a varnish that's not Poly based, only Sherwin Williams stocks it. I have some left from a bed frame I made, I'm going to use it. Satin.

Comment

Great build djg. How thick is the veneer on the baffle and the enclosure. PSA seems to work pretty good. Any special tips for first time user's?

Myles

Comment

I shellac the particle board and sand it smooth. I cut the veneer with regular scissors at least 1/2" oversize. I make sure the surface is clean and apply and burnish it with a slightly rounded corner of a wood scrap. I feel around the veneer with my fingertips to be sure it's going to cover before I press it down. If you put it on crooked you have a problem, the adhesive is very aggressive. I use a flush trim bearing bit in a router to trim. The waste veneer sticks to the bit and generally needs removed after every pass. The baffle is painted, the picture frame surround is 1/4" solid mahogany.

I buy from here.

Mahogany Wood Veneer 3M Peel and Stick Adhesive PSA 2' X 8' (24" x 96") Sheet | eBay

Comment

Tomorrow or the next day before final assy.

Comment

Working...
                                X