X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mattp
    replied
    Originally posted by rpb View Post

Are the measurements gated? I'll find out soon enough when I load them, but I'd like to see if gated makes any real difference. I find them easier to interpret, since they smooth out some of the peaks and dips.

I see dual binding posts in the pictures. Do you plan to keep the x-over external?
    Sorry I forgot that part. Yes they are gated just above 6ms.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by fdieck View Post
    Wolf.... you have got to be kidding. You are neglecting wiring inductance, and capacitor self inductance. These stray inductances will interact with your high Q trap circuits and provide all kinds of unanticipated resonant circuits. The same goes for the interaction between the trap circuits which have high Q (little resistive damping) networks in series. There are lot of amps that will no like this load.
    The load is just fine, as the swing is minimal. You can see this in the system impedance plot. What I've done here has been done many times before.

John-
    This is exactly how I designed the Zingers, and they are just fine. Single point in space, and 2 measurements on one axis.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    Minimalist, updated for new files, break up pushed down, 1.8K x-o, decent phase tracking, impedance etc. The dip at 3.1K is likely the faceted baffle. I'd check off axis before investing more parts

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    Wolf you should add in the woofer offset to get the phase tracking right. The little m next to the driver S1 would indicate it's modified. My sims use a woofer offset of 1.39 inches in XSim

Leave a comment:

• fdieck
    replied
    Wolf.... you have got to be kidding. You are neglecting wiring inductance, and capacitor self inductance. These stray inductances will interact with your high Q trap circuits and provide all kinds of unanticipated resonant circuits. The same goes for the interaction between the trap circuits which have high Q (little resistive damping) networks in series. There are lot of amps that will no like this load.

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    replied
    Originally posted by mattp View Post

Yes they were on tweeter axis.

I do and they are attached.

Ok as it turns out my near field wasn’t near enough. I think this is what has been messing with a lot of you and for that I am sorry. I have attached a new NF I took this morning. John the attached files are the ones you already have FYI.

Are the measurements gated? I'll find out soon enough when I load them, but I'd like to see if gated makes any real difference. I find them easier to interpret, since they smooth out some of the peaks and dips.

I see dual binding posts in the pictures. Do you plan to keep the x-over external?

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Alright, here's my interpretation using the tweeter axis raw files. The breakup is dead and buried, and the phase tracks well. I went 3rd order to achieve the LR4 at 2k, because the knee was too low at rolloff. I think you are just at the point where the tweeter is barely sensitive enough to meet the midbass and allow for other tweaking to flat response. I'm sure the facets are wreaking havoc on that from the get go.
    The 0.047uF cap pushes the notches' ripple below visible on the plot, but it can likely be omitted. Of note- in Xsim you can give the L/C components their own DCR. The LCR shunt on the woofer is using a gross resistance of 0.6 ohms total. For the 0.06mH coil, the 0.05mH is too small. Sometimes the Jantzen coils can be a smidge high, so I would check those before winding your own.

Just my take on it...
    Wolf

Click image for larger version  Name:	TeaserXSim_Wolf.jpg Views:	1 Size:	341.6 KB ID:	1419816

Leave a comment:

• mattp
    replied
    Originally posted by jhollander View Post
    Here's the blended woofer file using the 8_16 woofer file and the Good NF.
    Thanks John. Hopefully that helped clear some things up.

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    Here's the blended woofer file using the 8_16 woofer file and the Good NF.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• mattp
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    I'm hoping the files Matt posted initially were both on the tweeter axis. That's how I roll...
    Wolf
    Yes they were on tweeter axis.

Originally posted by rpb View Post
    My post was just deleted as spam, so I'll ask again if Matt has gated frd files for this measurement that have not been corrected, tweaked, modified, in any way. Click image for larger version Name:	image_80751.jpg Views:	2 Size:	124.6 KB ID:	1419661
    I do and they are attached.

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
    What I posted was correctly blended. The only issue could be the near field FRD gating…
    Ok as it turns out my near field wasn’t near enough. I think this is what has been messing with a lot of you and for that I am sorry. I have attached a new NF I took this morning. John the attached files are the ones you already have FYI.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    replied
    And here's the same exact filter as post #64 with the latest processed files.

Click image for larger version

Name:	no changes.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	484.4 KB
ID:	1419714

The woofer breakup and roll-off shown here.

Name:	no changes breakup notch.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	1419715

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    Notch style x-o at 2.5. Might have breakup issues...

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    replied
    For this sim, I used the raw measurements. The woofer breakup is way down, and x-over at 2k.

Name:	steep filter3.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	491.1 KB
ID:	1419696

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    Minor changes to first x-o. I still like the idea of a higher x-o. An would want to listen to the breakup before more work pushing it down.

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    Yes, I admit I did something wrong

Here's the updated blended file

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X