X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mattp
    replied
    Originally posted by jhollander View Post
    Nice anechoic chamber. So the graph above was in the chamber? Any gating? I'd love to see some detailed pics about the chamber so we could diy one...
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    It's likely the 'chamber' they have at PE.

It's basically a booth like you get into at the ENT for hearing tests, or for recording vocals. They have added the wedges to the walls, and the former window is the mic/driver interface depending on the function intended.

Later,
    Wolf
    Ben is correct, this is the chamber here in the lab at PE. Not so much a booth but an actual room (~1500 cuft) with a non treated floor. It's good to around 450 Hz and yes that distortion was gated at 5ms. We usually blend our FR curves for spec sheets around 500-600 Hz. The tweeter for this test was about 61" off the floor on two stands stacked.

I have attached frd and zma files for anyone who wants to fiddle. Everything is 2.83V/1m, woofer is blended to nearfield at about 720 Hz.

Epique Woofer.zma
    TL Tweeter.zma
    Woofer 0deg.frd
    Tweeter 0deg.frd

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    It's likely the 'chamber' they have at PE.

It's basically a booth like you get into at the ENT for hearing tests, or for recording vocals. They have added the wedges to the walls, and the former window is the mic/driver interface depending on the function intended.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    Nice anechoic chamber. So the graph above was in the chamber? Any gating? I'd love to see some detailed pics about the chamber so we could diy one...

Leave a comment:

• mattp
    replied
    Hmm..

This is promising.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	1419227

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    A thread to link when people ask "why DIY?"
    Last edited by djg; 08-12-2019, 11:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mattp
    replied
    The thick plates are the bases and the thinner plates are the tops. These will also be veneered. The PVC will be filled with sand and everything will be held together with 1/4"-20 all thread.

Name:	
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	1419211

Name:	
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	1419212

Name:	
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	1419214

Name:	
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	1419215
    And finally...the fun part..

Name:	
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	1419213

Leave a comment:

• mattp
    replied
    More progress. Cabinets are finished after 4 coats. I got one loaded up and ready for measurements, the other will happen soon. I have also started on the stands which should go relatively quick.

Name:	
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	1419204

Name:	
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	1419206

Name:	
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	1419208

Name:	
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	1419207

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• mattp
    replied
    Originally posted by badman View Post
    Very fine work
    Originally posted by 4thtry View Post
    Beautiful cabinets.
    Originally posted by anunnaki View Post
    Looking great so far! Nice work and can’t wait to see the rest of it come together!
    Thanks guys! They aren't perfect by any means but I am still beyond happy with them.

Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post
    Can't wait to see those drivers in the cabinets. Will you be bringing them to any DIY events or at least MWAF next year?
    Not very likely, this whole system is going to be more or less set up permanently in my listening room

Originally posted by Waboo View Post
    Matt, How did you flush trim the beveled edges? I'm wondering if you used an X-Acto knife or some other type of razor blade.
    I used a normal replaceable razor blade by hand and just took my time, replacing it with a new one after 5-6 edges. This was the best method I could come up with after using two other types of hand/veneer saws. Something else I learned with these is that hand sanding with a sanding block is much nicer in the end than trying to be careful with a sander, which is all I have used in the past.

Some of the edges could have been cleaner for sure. But it was all a learning process.

Leave a comment:

• Waboo
    replied
    Matt, How did you flush trim the beveled edges? I'm wondering if you used an X-Acto knife or some other type of razor blade.

Leave a comment:

• a4eaudio
    replied
    Can't wait to see those drivers in the cabinets. Will you be bringing them to any DIY events or at least MWAF next year?

Leave a comment:

• anunnaki
    replied
    Looking great so far! Nice work and can’t wait to see the rest of it come together!

Leave a comment:

• 4thtry
    replied
    Beautiful cabinets.

Leave a comment:

• badman
    replied
    Very fine work

Leave a comment:

• mattp
    replied
    One coat down, probably 4 more to go. One looks darker than the other but it is because of the lighting in the room.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	145.0 KB ID:	1418651

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	157.9 KB ID:	1418650

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	153.9 KB ID:	1418649

Leave a comment:

• mattp
    replied
    Using a large deep-well socket makes for a decent roller for applying the veneer.

Name:	
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	1418643

Name:	
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1418647

Name: