My Current Project...(Teasers...)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mattp
    started a topic My Current Project...(Teasers...)

My Current Project...(Teasers...)

I don't think I have ever posted a build thread but there is a first time for everything. I'm a few weeks into it now but there is still quite a bit to come. I will let the pics speak for themselves. Consider this more or less a teaser post even though what I am using is pictured.

This is MY idea of a reference system that is as close to bullet proof as I can get with my limited knowledge. I am just a lowly PE employee that strives to get the best of whats possible. I have not done any XO modelling, that will come once the cabs are finished and I can get these into the lab. I'll let y'all ask whatever you want about the design. It's really nothing too special or original but it is a practice in my personal skill level with the tools I have. The idea is a cost-no-object design that I can afford (sounds counter intuitive I know...) that I shouldn't have to upgrade in the future. Could I spend more money? Sure. Will it be beneficial? That is the question I've yet to answer.

There will be a few "first posts" to get all the pics in but bare with me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	2
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1417616Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1417617Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1417618Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	1417619Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	536.4 KB
ID:	1417620

• mattp
    replied
    Forgot to mention -

These will be double thick like the bookshelves and in case you missed it, will house two RSS315HFA-8 subs in each, dual opposed.

I also decided that I will repaint the stand tubes, likely a dark graphite matte, or a matte hammer tone if I can find it. That may not be for a while since those were a bit of a pain and I don't feel like revisiting that yet lol.

Leave a comment:

• mattp
    replied
    I dreaded cutting the holes in the braces even though I have done far more in the past. I considered doing this outside (and wished I had). The final eight holes I need to cut will be done outside, as well as the sanding and final edge routing.

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	1421581

Name:	
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	1421582
    Like with the bookshelves, I cut narrow dados in the top and bottom panels of the subs so the bracing would be spaced right and would mean much easier assembly. It takes a few extra minutes to cut these but it is worth it.

Name:	
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1421580

Did I mention I am over dust? I decided at the start of this project my shop was just going to be caked until it was done. I cannot wait for a relatively windy day when I can just open up the doors and go to town with the leaf blower. My chainsaw sits under my main work bench to give you an idea.

Name:	
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	1421579

Leave a comment:

• mattp
    replied
    After life getting in the way, weather and moving my listening room around I finally got started on the subs a couple days ago. I am to the point in this project where I am pretty well over MDF dust.

Little tip: If you can manage it, buy your MDF in full sheets and cut it to manageable sizes with a circular saw and a home made zero clearance track. It will cost you about half of what four handi-panels cost and you will end up with far less scrap. The track was some leftover plywood I had laying around, took about 5 minutes to make and is accurate and repeatable, so a nice tool to have. Plus, circular saws are cheap. I usually cut them about 1/4" large and do a final size cut on the table saw.

Name:	
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	1421572

Name:	
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	1421574

Name:	
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	1421573

Name:	
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	1421576

Name:	
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	1421575

Leave a comment:

• rosemartine
    replied
    Hey mattp,
    Good work it is.It's looking nice.

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    replied
    I've got one last x-over sim for you, in case down the road you want to experiment.

Name:	one last sim_12 parts.jpg
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	1421024

Leave a comment:

• mattp
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    Wrap the pipes in carbon-fiber, or a faux-fiber. That's off black and not white, and would gel well visually.

Later,
    Wolf
    I actually considered doing this too. I will sleep on it for a while and rethink the options. I can change it any time without too much fuss.

Originally posted by ugly woofer View Post
    Good call John, pearl white didn't even enter my mind while reading this.

I'm biased but I think pearl white is the way to go, it keeps your color theme and at the same time will definitely stop onlookers from thinking that is just plain pvc pipe.

On the other hand they are your creation, and if you like them just the way they are, who cares what anyone thinks...leave them alone.
    Pearl white is a good idea, I hadn't considered that. I might wait until the system is complete and the room is set up the way I want and make my decision then.

I really appreciate the input guys.

Leave a comment:

• ugly woofer
    replied
    Good call John, pearl white didn't even enter my mind while reading this.

I'm biased but I think pearl white is the way to go, it keeps your color theme and at the same time will definitely stop onlookers from thinking that is just plain pvc pipe.

On the other hand they are your creation, and if you like them just the way they are, who cares what anyone thinks...leave them alone.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Wrap the pipes in carbon-fiber, or a faux-fiber. That's off black and not white, and would gel well visually.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• a4eaudio
    replied
    Color matching the woofer is a nice idea. Another idea would be to get several swatches of brown (or just take one of the stands in to Home Depot/Lowe's/Ace/etc.) and color match the oak.

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    Black is OK but imo I think you need something off black like Grafite, black brown like Kona might work as well. I'd definitely consider something flat. The other option would be a white pearl like Nick did on the moon drops

Leave a comment:

• Chad2
    replied
    Maybe you should texture the pillars so they don’t look like pvc pipes but keep them white/cream color.

Leave a comment:

• mattp
    replied
    Ok so I need opinions.

What I have now is basically the look I was going for. The off white with oak just does something for me. It has a certain elegance to it in my eye.

But..

I have been told by more than one person that it just looks like bare white pvc pipe. An idea thrown at me was basically to try and match the woofer color. Something darker, like a hammered graphite finish.

What are anyone's thoughts? It IS after all just PVC but it is painted a satin off white. Please share opinions.

MP

Leave a comment:

• mattp
    replied
    Originally posted by jhollander View Post
    Looks good. Is the sand worth the hassle?
    Thanks John. Well I cannot objectively say the sand was worth it in terms of acoustics but it was certainly cheap enough to do. I like overkill and heavy/weighty/damped things when it comes to speakers and it seems to be doing the trick quite well. Let's just say if it wasnt there it would bug me.

Originally posted by rpb View Post
    For speaker placement, try 48" to 52" out from the wall. I think you will find the sound changes compared to 34" or so.
    Thanks rpb. Those dimensions i posted didn't sound very accurate when I typed them so I double checked when I got home. Turns out they are just under 6 feet apart tweeter to tweeter. My head is about 7 feet back. I have been messing with placement and toe-in for a couple days. I did move them out from the back wall but only to around 42" (wall to baffle). Any closer and it might be too much. My chair is only 15" from the back wall when not reclined and I usually listen with my feet up.

But...moving them is free. So time will tell. I might try bringing them out a few more inches.

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    replied
    For speaker placement, try 48" to 52" out from the wall. I think you will find the sound changes compared to 34" or so.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X