X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• randytyler
    started a topic The SeaMores

The SeaMores

After several weeks of anticipation (procrastination), I finally got a chance to “make some sawdust” last weekend. My new shop speakers, tentatively dubbed the “SeaMores” will be outfitted with a Morel MW168 6" woofer with a SEAS 22TAF/G tweeter. The enclosures are approximately 10L with a 1-1/2” diameter vent. Following are pictures of my progress so far.
    Special thanks to Dynamo and Chris Roemer for their enclosure and crossover design assistance!
    MDF from Lowes. Had them cut it down to manageable size pieces Enclosure pieces cut to size I like to biscuit joint the butt joints

• randytyler
    replied
    Thank you! And thanks for the heads up on the veneer species. I do believe it is a figured sapele. I just brushed on the last coat of poly, so should have some new pictures later today.

Leave a comment:

• mattk
    replied
    Very nice. The veneer looks sort of like sapele.

Leave a comment:

• randytyler
    replied
    Stained and the first coat of poly brushed on.
    Stained and the first coat of poly brushed on. Stained and the first coat of poly brushed on.

Leave a comment:

• randytyler
    replied
    Thank you!

I have them ready to stain. I'm using a mixture of Old Masters wood gain filler with a Minwax stain. More photos of the finished cabinets coming soon.
    Cabinets sanded and ready for stain Grain filler/stain mixture

Leave a comment:

• dynamo
    replied
    These are looking great! Nice work!

Leave a comment:

• rosemartine
    replied
    Hey,
    I liked your work. Too good. Keep it up! Speakers looking nice.

Leave a comment:

• randytyler
    replied
    Veneering is complete. Now on to sanding.
    Completed veneer. Sanding next I think the fumes from the contact cement caused Big Marty some brain damage

Leave a comment:

• randytyler
    replied
    Originally I was going to spray these with truck bedliner, but found a left over piece of veneer in the shop that I'm using instead. Trouble is, I can't remember for the life of me what species the wood is. If anyone can help me out with identification, I'd greatly appreciate it. This was also the first time I've used the Weldwood "Gel Formula" contact cement. I can give it two thumbs up. It went on easily and bonded perfectly. Like other solvent based cements, the fumes are dangerous, so if you use this stuff make sure you have good ventilation.

I was able to get the backs and tops and bottoms cemented on today. I'm using the router table to trim the excess veneer. I'll trim the tops and bottoms tomorrow and them get the sides on.

Stay tuned for more pictures!
    Unknown veneer. Please help me identify the species. Veneer cut for application Weldwood cement

Leave a comment:

• dst
    replied
    I look forward to seeing more as they come to life. Nice cabs!

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    The deadly fly cutter. You should have to go through a background check to buy one of those.

Leave a comment:

• skatz
    replied
    [QU but don't ever try using one in a hand held drill.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the voice of experience!

Steve

Leave a comment:

• randytyler
    replied
    Sorry, I've always called it a swing saw. It's actually a General Tool Circle Cutter: https://www.generaltools.com/heavy-duty-circle-cutter

Works great in a drill press, but don't ever try using one in a hand held drill.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    "swing saw on drill press", google fails me. Help? Nice work.

Leave a comment:

• randytyler
    replied
    Thank you! What you're seeing is a rabbeting router bit kit. I just install the bearing/sleeve corresponding to the recess I need and then set the bit depth on the router table and spin the box around the bit. I have a couple of different Japser jigs I use for larger enclosures, but this method works great for smaller boxes. Same with cutting the holes with the swing saw on the drill press.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X