Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• randytyler
    replied
    Thank you! But now they're too nice to go in the shop. Oh well, hafta build another pair now

Leave a comment:

• scottvalentin
    replied
    Very nice looking speakers - very happy you did not do truck bed liner, the wood looks great.

Leave a comment:

• randytyler
    replied
    Finally Finished! Spent some time listening to them last night and I'm very pleased. My go-to disks of Amelia Royko, Adele, Jackyl and Joe Satriani all sounded terrific. Vocals are smooth, stereo imaging is perfect and they play loud with no sign of stress. Obviously they don't have the bass extension of my towers but they will be fine in my application without a sub. Special thanks to Chris Roemer for his help with the crossover design. He really nailed it!

Leave a comment:

• randytyler
    replied
    Yes, it definitely causes sinus irritation when sanding.

Leave a comment:

• TITMAS
    replied
    https://images.app.goo.gl/AdtedAC1W5ewKQfP7

Sapele perhaps. From experience i know that sapele, and most other mahogany knockoffs, have a slightly caustic nasal irritant effect to them from breathing in the dust. To test, scuff sand a section and smell the dust. It should burn ever so slightly.

Leave a comment:

• randytyler
    replied
    Finally back to the project and making progress. Working on getting the baffles painted and the crossovers wired up.

Leave a comment:

• randytyler
    replied
    Thank you! And thanks for the heads up on the veneer species. I do believe it is a figured sapele. I just brushed on the last coat of poly, so should have some new pictures later today.

Leave a comment:

• mattk
    replied
    Very nice. The veneer looks sort of like sapele.

Leave a comment:

• randytyler
    replied
    Stained and the first coat of poly brushed on.

Leave a comment:

• randytyler
    replied
    Thank you!

I have them ready to stain. I'm using a mixture of Old Masters wood gain filler with a Minwax stain. More photos of the finished cabinets coming soon.

Leave a comment:

• dynamo
    replied
    These are looking great! Nice work!

Leave a comment:

• rosemartine
    replied
    Hey,
    I liked your work. Too good. Keep it up! Speakers looking nice.

Leave a comment:

• randytyler
    replied
    Veneering is complete. Now on to sanding.

Leave a comment:

• randytyler
    replied
    Originally I was going to spray these with truck bedliner, but found a left over piece of veneer in the shop that I'm using instead. Trouble is, I can't remember for the life of me what species the wood is. If anyone can help me out with identification, I'd greatly appreciate it. This was also the first time I've used the Weldwood "Gel Formula" contact cement. I can give it two thumbs up. It went on easily and bonded perfectly. Like other solvent based cements, the fumes are dangerous, so if you use this stuff make sure you have good ventilation.

I was able to get the backs and tops and bottoms cemented on today. I'm using the router table to trim the excess veneer. I'll trim the tops and bottoms tomorrow and them get the sides on.

Stay tuned for more pictures!

Leave a comment:

• dst
    replied
    I look forward to seeing more as they come to life. Nice cabs!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X