Triginta Sub 2.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triginta Sub 2.1

A while ago I had ordered a Tangband W5-1138SIF for a Voxel sub. This was my first build with a " calculated enclosure ". Before I put everything in an small enclosure with some passive radiators from some old speakers, but don't know what i'm doing. The voxel sub impress me but I don't finish it because I want to make a portable boombox wich have different dimensions. The battery died and the bleutooth has some troubles. Crossovers are the things I'm not good at so I have to built a speaker for use at home with an amp that have a built in crossover. To make it easy but have a good sounding speaker( with W5-1138 ) a came up with this.

​​​The lepai-lp210pa 2.1 with 100 hz highpass filter on the satelite channels. It also have a adjustable lowpass for the subwoofer and a 0.1 channel function for subwoofer only use!

the Dayton nd65-8 fullrange speaker that can play to 80hz without exceeding xmax ( a little 0.3 mm ). Use 2 wired paralel for a 4 ohm load and to handle the excursion and power trow at it. You also can use the Dayton ND91, but it will not going as high in the frequency range. ( don't want to use crossover for tweeter to keep it simple )

A tangband W5-1138sif to reach a F3 of 28,5 ( Triginta Sub means 30 Sub, because it reach 30 hz) with a really flat responce, but in a small box, with less than 25 liter outside.

Ports that I use for the subwoofer and fullrange don't have to be cutt and are flared to reduce port noise.

The amplifier have 60 watt RMS on the sub so I think you can give it 40 watt of clean power.

The sub design was a bit tricky but it fits exactly with enough space between the port and wall and a port that can handle the amount of air that's moving tru it.

Now you have a 2.1 speaker set with good sound, I think for a beginner project that cost about 250$.

The box dimensions

Comment

I was thinking about a very similar setup, using the TB 1138 for a sub except adding a ND16 tweeter to the 2 ND65's. This would be my first attempt at a cross over project and I have been struggling with it. They look good, what do you think about the sound?

Comment

Originally posted by randyohoh View Post
        I was thinking about a very similar setup, using the TB 1138 for a sub except adding a ND16 tweeter to the 2 ND65's. This would be my first attempt at a cross over project and I have been struggling with it. They look good, what do you think about the sound?
        I haven't heart a lot of selfmade speakers but built a few myself and this is the first with such a full sound. It goes really deep but it lacks a bit on the high I think, but to me for a budget like this it sound bigger as it looks like, try to find a sub that goes as low as 30 hz with the same size.

in the future I want to build a nd91-8 with tweeter, for a better xmax and a better high end but it needs some crossover. My tought is that at 4 ohm you get 30 watt RMS so you will over power the sub. But if you use a 8 ohm it will get less power and have the same SPL as the W5 ( 80.6 db )

​​​​​the SPL of the nd65-8 is 80,4 db so it match well with the subwoofer and you have a small looking design! It have a xmax of 3.5 mm so you just exceed it by 0.3 mm but maybe it can handle it just fine.
        Attached Files

Comment

Did you measure the subwoofer's impedance to see if you hit the target Fb? The proximity of the sides and bottom to the entrance of the vent may have shifted Fb downwards a little.
          Brian Steele
          www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Brian, I have a multimeter at home? Don't know how to measure. What do you mean with the entrance, the one inside the enclosure or on the front baffle.

The proximity of the sides and bottom to the entrance of the vent may have shifted Fb downwards a little. --> does this mean it have a lower tuning?

Comment

I'm referring to the entrance in the inside.

And yes, lower Fb = lower tuning.

Wire a small resistor in series with the speaker, and use the multimeter to measure the AC voltage across the resistor when you run sine waves through the combination of speaker and resistor. When voltage is at a maximum across the resistor, that's the Fb (or close enough) of the enclosure.

Brian Steele
              www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
                I'm referring to the entrance in the inside.

And yes, lower Fb = lower tuning.

Wire a small resistor in series with the speaker, and use the multimeter to measure the AC voltage across the resistor when you run sine waves through the combination of speaker and resistor. When voltage is at a maximum across the resistor, that's the Fb (or close enough) of the enclosure.
                This is the entrance inside...I move to another house about a few weeks so the speakers are packed, but I will try it soon. Why AC voltage? The amp is DC or am I wrong.

Comment

Yes, you're wrong Amps are supplied by DC, but ALL audio signals are AC voltage with a complex array of frequencies.

Do you have a signal generator of some kind that can do a frequency sweep? This one is good on the web:
                  https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

An easier method to find tuning is to put the speaker cone face up, drop a little bit of rice grains on the cone. Give it a sine wave signal like from that web site and sweep the frequency around where it should be tuned. The cone movement will be minimal when the port takes over at resonance. That means the rice will dance the least, and you've found the tuning frequency.
                  Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                  Wogg Music
                  Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Wogg, thanks I will check it with the rice if I Got some time 😃

Comment

Working...
                    X