Dayton/HiVi 2-way Bookshelf Makeover Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton/HiVi 2-way Bookshelf Makeover Project

Hey guys, thought I would share my speaker latest project. Many years ago I built a pair of bookshelf speakers using a HiVi W6 woofer and Vifa DX25TG. They sounded great and I used them for many years, until the voice coil on the W6 began rubbing producing some pretty funky sounds. I lived with it for a while but finally gave in and said it's time for a remake! The enclosures were pretty solid, I felt like I didn't need to mess with the cabinets too much, so I went about just selecting some new drivers to drop into the existing locations and I ended up with an RS180/RT1.3WE pair that sound great. I thought it would be a tough match initially, but was able to push the RS180 all the up to 2.8 kHz with a 24 dB/octave slope and a small notch filter at ~8 kHz. The RT1.3WE seems happy at 2.8 kHz also with a 24 dB slope and small notch filter around 13 kHz.

I initially designed and built the crossover with a full 6 dB of BSC but then after a few weeks of listening ended up decreasing the amount of BSC to 3.5 dB and am much happier with the results. I think that's the second time I've tried to go full BSC and man, I just can't get on board. Likely mostly due to room placement, the full 6 dB sounded fantastic when they were 3 feet away from the back wall during my initial auditioning and measurements, but in their final location, they sounded dull and bass heavy. It's amazing how much room placement plays into a loudspeaker's sound. Fortunately that's where this hobby is so great, I was able to make the desired tweaks to the crossover to get the speakers to sound just right while in a completely practical room placement scenario.

Anyway, here's some pictures and a couple of measurements with both BSC options. Since this was just a makeover project, I don't have a lot of pics of the cabinet assembly, but I have hundreds of REW plots of the drivers with and without various different crossover options. I played around for a few months with these things before committing to single crossover option, and even then, I couldn't leave it be! It's funny how when you really start to get into measuring your speakers, something I never used to do years ago, it becomes the process that seriously takes the absolute longest. You quickly realize how very small changes in capacitor/inductor/resistor values can cause significant changes in the response and it becomes so hard to just pick the one that you like the best. Fortunately, my ears are less sensitive than my eyes, even though I could measure a change, and see that change in the plots, didn't mean I was able to hear that change even if I was listening for it. But it's still fun to see what can be done. Check 'em out below and let me know what you think.

Click image for larger version  Name:	newspeakers (76).jpg Views:	1 Size:	89.5 KB ID:	1422767 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_81390.jpg Views:	1 Size:	113.9 KB ID:	1422768 Click image for larger version  Name:	newspeakers (64).jpg Views:	1 Size:	128.0 KB ID:	1422775 Click image for larger version  Name:	newspeakers (62).jpg Views:	1 Size:	222.5 KB ID:	1422770 Click image for larger version

Name:	newspeakers (70).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	1422776

Just a few more pics...

Click image for larger version  Name:	newspeakers (41).jpg Views:	1 Size:	190.5 KB ID:	1422761 Click image for larger version  Name:	newspeakers (44).jpg Views:	1 Size:	244.6 KB ID:	1422762 Click image for larger version  Name:	newspeakers (49).jpg Views:	1 Size:	299.3 KB ID:	1422763 Click image for larger version  Name:	3dBvs6dbbscresponses.png Views:	1 Size:	97.1 KB ID:	1422764 Click image for larger version

Name:	Reduced 3db BSC Latest 24 dB with notch and 24 dB tweeter.png
Views:	1
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1422766

Comment

They look really cool, love the finish.

The crossover must have given you a few headaches; I hadn't seen the RS180 crossed so high before.

Congratulations!

Geoff

Comment

Lookup LouC's 'Cryolites', as that is essentially what you have there.
        Wolf

Scratch that- wrong tweeter.....
        Last edited by Wolf; 10-10-2019, 02:28 PM. Reason: Mistaken...
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
        X