Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tower speaker design/selection help

Speaker Design Goals
    • Stay under $350 for all speaker components (electrical) (building materials separate i.e. wood, glue, screws etc.)
    • Either 2-way or 3-way passive design
    • Music and movies will be the main listening media
    • Looking for a warm and punchy (fun) sound, with vocals being crisp and clear
    • I already have an active 12” down firing sub made by Klipsch
    • I am using a Denon 7.1 receiver with an output of 100 watts per channel
    • The living room that these will be in, is a nightmare of a listening situation.
      • The overall size of the room is about 12’ W x 15’ L x 8’ H
      • Hardwood floors
      • There is a hallway that leads to the bedrooms and bathroom to the left of the TV and speakers
      • Also to the left are the stairs that lead down to the kitchen/dining room with there being a huge opening (like a loft) to the left of the listening position looking over the dining room and kitchen.
    • I plan on making the speakers floor-standing
    • See the attached image to get a general layout of the living room
      • The red boxes are where the speakers will go
      • The blue box in the upper right is the sub-woofer
      • The green boxes are the couches
      • The dark blue box to the left is the opening where you can look down into the kitchen and dining room

May I please get some guidance on speaker design/selection for my situation and try to hit my goals?

Thank you in advance
    -Josh
    Attached Files

This is the Gallery for finished projects. You'll get answers to queries better over in the TechTalk sector.
    Good luck,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

As Wolf says, you will get more views and advice in the Tech Talk section.

I'm assuming you want a tower so that the tweeters are at ear level when seated? If so, you probably want a TMM or similar layout rather than MTM, although you could do MTM with a taller cabinet, or a TM tower for that matter. There are heaps of good designs out there.

If you want a fun sound, Paul Carmody's Classix 2.5 would easily fit in your budget; I have them on my growing 'to do' list. I built the Classix II, and they sound great for the price; slightly relaxed sound and the DC160s aren't "reference" standard, but in our garage/workshop which has mostly hard surfaces, they're excellent for music.

The 2.5s will have similar sound to the Classix II but play louder: https://sites.google.com/site/undefi...diy/classix2-5

That's just my suggestion

Geoff

Comment

I am posting this to the tech talk section. Thanks for letting me know.
        Geoff, I like how the Classix 2.5 looks, thanks
        -Josh

Comment

do you have any drivers yet ?
          craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Working...
          X