Carrera Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrera Build

When I was in high school, I stumbled across some people talking about DIY speaker building online. Paul's site was one of the first that I visited and I was awestruck by the Carrera, and then dumbstruck when I saw the cost for a kit. I REALLY wanted to build a pair ever since then, and my stars aligned last year when I was able to pick up a pair of OW1s from a friend and the Revelators here in classifieds.
    They're finished in a Matrix candy paint like my Microstatements, but in Dark Cherry Red this time around.

I used Clarity caps again for this build, PX on the woofer and CSA for the tweeter.

Connections and resistors were wired on the bottom because it makes the top look pretty.

Both assembled crossovers

The base coat for this candy paint is a charcoal metallic

Raw shoot

The interior is lined with acoustic foam as per Paul's recommendation.

I love these speakers.
    They're detailed, rich, and love to be driven hard. I have them at my desk now, but they honestly deserve to be in a bigger space where they can be pushed harder. They really seem to do everything well, effortlessly.
    At the moment, I'm powering them with a P101 built by a friend and fed by an Audio-GD NFB-11.28.
    Let me know if you have any questions or comments about them.
    Last edited by tayj10; 10-23-2019, 02:47 AM.

Purdy.

Nice XO layout.

Comment

Very nice! What is your spray setup?

Comment

They look lovely, well done!

I particularly like the gloss finish and the prep that went into coming up with such a great result. The baffle edges are really, really nice.

I note the WRX in the background: your next pair of speakers might need to be named after it maybe The Rexers? Maybe not...

Geoff

Comment

Very pretty. I have not assembled many boxes and need to work on my router skills to be brave enough to use it on a glued up box. Are the butt joints on BB like this strong? I would like to try this on my next build.

Comment

TITMAS, my former neighbor actually shot these cabinets, and I don't know what his exact setup is. Sorry! I wanted a really deep looking candy on these, but I don't have a good spot that I could paint over the series of a couple days like this paint required. There are 2 coats of the base, 8 coats of the candy, and 4 coats of clear.

stephenmarklay, I'm sure that it would be better to rabbet the joints. Without it, the strength of the joint is probably somewhat reliant on the bond between the laminated layers in the ply. I'm also pretty new to making cabinets and have a lot to learn.

Comment

How are they working out on your desk? Do you have any bass bloat issues?
              How do they compare to the Statement Micros?

This is VERY relevant to my interests...

Comment

Beautiful! I used to own this, and foolishly sold it to chase other speakers. Definitely a fun speaker that one can listen to all day long!

Comment

scardeal, I don't have them actually on my desk, but rather on stands to the side. I have more issues with the room itself than anything else. I need to get around to doing some acoustic treatment, but I can't track down where I can get rockboard without paying ridiculous shipping. They are definitely overkill as near-field desk speakers. They sound much better when you can sit back 8 feet or so.

Carreras vs Microstatements
                  Carreras reproduce live music exceptionally well, whereas I find that the micro statements tend to give it a bit more of a "studio" sound.
                  I prefer the way that brass and woodwinds sound on the Microstatements, and that is almost certainly due to the ribbon tweeter.
                  Both have great imaging, with better positional accuracy in the MS, and more separation in the Carreras. I think the Carreras would perform better in a bigger space. The MS definitely handle a smaller room better.
                  Carreras have a much meatier low-end. I've paired both with a sub, but with good placement either hold their own fine without one.
                  If I could only pick one, I'd pick the Carreras. They have a fuller sound.

Comment

The carreras are kind of in a weird spot where they're bookshelf speakers but really need the space that you'd want for small floorstanders, in my opinion. When I got them together, we did a lot of A/Bing between them with microstatements, full statements, and a two way seas floorstander of Paul's called the Nextel 2 way. The Carreras have some black magic that makes them sound huge but they don't quite have the full-body experience you get with a tower. I'd be interested in how the Carreras compare to Jeff Bagby's Kairos. I'd imagine that they're a bit closer comparison than the MS. If there was a woofer module for the Carerras to make them a 3-way like the Kairos has, I'd build it in a heartbeat and be "forced" to set them up in a dedicated listening room.

Comment

Originally posted by tayj10 View Post
                      TITMAS, my former neighbor actually shot these cabinets, and I don't know what his exact setup is. Sorry! I wanted a really deep looking candy on these, but I don't have a good spot that I could paint over the series of a couple days like this paint required. There are 2 coats of the base, 8 coats of the candy, and 4 coats of clear.

stephenmarklay, I'm sure that it would be better to rabbet the joints. Without it, the strength of the joint is probably somewhat reliant on the bond between the laminated layers in the ply. I'm also pretty new to making cabinets and have a lot to learn.
                      Well the end result is great. Good job.

Comment

Beautiful!! These are on my bucket list...
                        Carbon13

Comment

Originally posted by tayj10 View Post
                          TITMAS, my former neighbor actually shot these cabinets, and I don't know what his exact setup is. Sorry! I wanted a really deep looking candy on these, but I don't have a good spot that I could paint over the series of a couple days like this paint required. There are 2 coats of the base, 8 coats of the candy, and 4 coats of clear..
                          What paint did you use? Looks great!

Comment

at the bottom of Paul's page is the original Carrera, called unnamed, which i still own. i had talked to Paul about this design for s few months trying to decide on what tweeter would be used. i ended up picking the Hiquphon, a great choice. i am glad to see so many people have decided to build this design. some day i am going to have to bring my mtm version of this to a diy event.
                            craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post

What paint did you use? Looks great!
                              It's a candy paint by Matrix called "Dark Cherry". The codes on the back of the swatch are MPB-107 and MPB-107/2. The base coat is a Charcoal Metallic.

Comment

Working...
                              X