Amiga build in Walnut Veneer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amiga build in Walnut Veneer

Thought I would share this Amiga build that I did as a wedding present for my niece. Since I first started building speakers a few years ago, the Amiga was one that I always wanted to build and I sure wasn't disappointed! Great sounding speaking in a great looking package! My wife didn't even want to let them leave the house!

Here is the finished product but I'll post a build thread in following posts for those that want to see the details.
    Attached Files
    Carbon13

Started by cutting all the panels, cutting rabbets and window braces. All done in 3/4 MDF as per Mr. Carmody's instructions (except his uses butt joints, I adjusted for rabbets)

Attached Files
    Carbon13

Comment

Next up was routering the cutouts and test fitting the drivers. Jasper circle jig and rabbet bit does the job nicely
      Attached Files
      Carbon13

Comment

I wanted to add a couple dowels as braces but I messed up cutting the holes. I made them identical instead of mirror images. So filled them with the dowel, cut it off with a hand saw and redrilled the holes. Good place to make a mistake as no one will see it (except here ;)
        Attached Files
        Carbon13

Comment

For the mitres, I just ran them along the router table with the 45 degree bit.
          Attached Files
          Carbon13

Comment

Tried a new approach to putting this all together. Gorilla tape the seams, add glue, fold all together and clamp like crazy (not shown)!
            Attached Files
            Carbon13

Comment

To make the removable back, I ran a rabbet along the inside of the back panel
              Attached Files
              Carbon13

Comment

Sealed all the inside seams.
                Attached Files
                Carbon13

Comment

roundover on the front baffle edges
                  Attached Files
                  Carbon13

Comment

3D printed the ports
                    Attached Files
                    Carbon13

Comment

Special thanks to ethosunum for the PCB crossover boards. Nicest boards I've ever soldered! Just wish I remembered to take a picture from the top (look at ethosunum's posts, my inductors were a bit bigger so hung off the edge more).
                      Attached Files
                      Carbon13

Comment

hole saw for the ports. needed a bit of sanding to fit
                        Attached Files
                        Carbon13

Comment

cutouts were first painted black (to hide imperfections) and walnut veneer added with contact cement, acoustic foam cut and glued in with spray adhesive, driver hardware painted black
                          Attached Files
                          Carbon13

Comment

3D printed these feet. drilled and counter sunk screws from bottom to hold in place, added some none slip foam and trimmed with exacto knife. Like how these came out, may have to retrofit some onto my OSTMMs.

That's it for build pics! Finished product pics in post #1! Hope this was helpful.
                            Attached Files
                            Carbon13

Comment

Wow.
                              Those are gorgeous.
                              Fantastic job.

Comment

Working...
                              X