Amiga build in Walnut Veneer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautiful, well done!

Is that a copy of Dylan's Blood on the Tracks LP in the background? If so, 'Tangled Up in Blue' should sound great.

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
      Beautiful, well done!

Is that a copy of Dylan's Blood on the Tracks LP in the background? If so, 'Tangled Up in Blue' should sound great.

Geoff
      It is and it does! My favorite Dylan album hands down. I love spinning it on Saturday mornings while sipping my coffee. Pure audio heaven;)
      Carbon13

Comment

Great documentation, thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words! Big thanks to Paul Carmody for another awesome design!
          Carbon13

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon13 View Post

It is and it does! My favorite Dylan album hands down. I love spinning it on Saturday mornings while sipping my coffee. Pure audio heaven;)
            It is indeed a great album, but it's hard for me to select a favourite from Dylan's huge catalogue. There are some I hate (Down in the Groove) , some which have their moments (New Morning, Planet Waves, Time Out of Mind) and some of his best stuff is on other peoples' records: Concert for Bangla Desh and Travelling Wilburys.

Limiting myself to five: Highway 61 Revisited, Live at the "Albert Hall" (Bootleg Series), Real Live, Blood on the Tracks and The Basement Tapes. Plus Blonde on Blonde. Plus Bringing It All Back Home. And....

For the recorded sound, 'Love and Theft' and 'Slow Train Coming' are really nice.

Enjoy your Amigas!

Geoff

Comment

You sure did those justice. Your niece is very lucky!

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon13 View Post
                Thought I would share this Amiga build that I did as a wedding present for my niece. Since I first started building speakers a few years ago, the Amiga was one that I always wanted to build and I sure wasn't disappointed! Great sounding speaking in a great looking package! My wife didn't even want to let them leave the house!

Here is the finished product but I'll post a build thread in following posts for those that want to see the details.
                How do the Amiga compare to the Klipsch?

Comment

Originally posted by HugChopShop View Post

How do the Amiga compare to the Klipsch?
                  Kinda hard to compare, they're really apples to oranges in terms of sound and very dependent on amp, placement and room. The fortes are high sensitivity and pair well with my Fisher 500c tube amp for a really warm sound with deep rich lows and a wide soundstage from the horns.

The Amigas need power and so I drove them with my Yamaha cr2040 with 120W old school power. The bass was tighter and more accurate than the klipsch IMO but didn't hit you in the chest in the same way, but probably unfair to compare a 2way to a 3way with a huge woofer. I'd also say that the highs are slightly brighter/accurate on the amigas.

All this is just my personal impression but to complicate it even more, when I set the amigas up at my niece's house they really came alive. Her space has super high ceilings but her room is well treated with carpets and furnishings and wall decor that must have really made a difference. I had been listening to them for weeks at my place and it was like hearing a totally different speaker. I was amazed by how good they sounded, much better than in my space.

The amigas definitely punch way above their weight in terms of price and performance. Terrific design and I am glad I built them.
                  Carbon13

Comment

Working...
                  X