No announcement yet.

The Travelers - New Year, New Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah now that may be the ticket! I have wanted to try that Hiquphon tweeter however. But I may just have to try the Keramiskas anyway. Thank you for the heads up!

Comment

Craig's use the RT1.3WE planets.

Darn autocorrect, it's planars!
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
        Craig's use the RT1.3WE planets.

Darn autocorrect, it's planars!
        Wolf
        Thank you Wolf. I just meant I had not heard that planar before. But it sounds like a good one.

Comment

How did you achieve the piano black mirror finish like that? Is there a relatively simple way to accomplish it?
          "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

Comment

Piano-black is not easy if you are doing the painting; ever. If Jim used the Formica on these he uses for the backs, that would be the only alternative.

If you want to try something, try black chalkboard paint, and follow it up with VHT headlight-tint black-impregnated-clear. Prep well and get great coverage with the chalkboard paint. The VHT you shouldn't need more than about 3 coats on top of it. It's not piano-black, but it's the easiest deep shiny black I've done.

Later,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by STIchris722 View Post
              How did you achieve the piano black mirror finish like that? Is there a relatively simple way to accomplish it?
              Wolf nailed it. I used vertical grade gloss black Formica everywhere except the front baffle which I rattle caned with spray automotive lacquer followed with a few coats of clear. Painting gloss black is super challenging to accomplish that perfect shiny finish when you're done. I still haven't gotten around to polishing the Bordeaux. They're satin finish without buffing. One of these days....

Over the years I've done a lot of spraying including poly top coats when I veneer. I'm a real fanboy of Crystalac which is water based and I've used some Target Coatings products too. Easy to shoot inside the house year around with no oder. They can also be brushed on if you don't have a spray setup.

I used spray can on the front baffle because the clean up of the gun and set up of my spray booth would have taken way too much time. I like using laminate except it only works with square corners

HTH

Jim

Comment

Great job on the speakers Jim. Looks like a very nice design. You designed the top half of the Bordeaux speakers in such a way that you could change it out with new designs. Would it be possible to use the Arum Cantus tweeter with the SB15CAC mid?

Which speakers do you like listening to more at the moment? The Bordeaux or the Travelers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikerodrig27 View Post
                  Great job on the speakers Jim. Looks like a very nice design. You designed the top half of the Bordeaux speakers in such a way that you could change it out with new designs. Would it be possible to use the Arum Cantus tweeter with the SB15CAC mid?

Which speakers do you like listening to more at the moment? The Bordeaux or the Travelers?
                  Thanks Mike! Curt and I appreciate your kind words!

We've been talking about another project with CAC mids but it's just talk at this point.

The AC ribbon isn't a good match for the SB15CAC driver. The ribbon can't cross low enough to blend with the CAC. A crossover point from 2K - 2.5K is optimum.

Thanks again!

Jim

Comment

Just fired up the set of Travelers. Very little critical listening yet, but so far I can there is an extraordinary amount of detail, almost an electrostatic-like quality. The bass alignment is from Paul K.
                    A pair of Dayton 4's in the room (off white) and the old Targas on the bookshelf. Will post this over at DIYaudio also.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	travelers 1.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	1435477 Click image for larger version

Name:	travelers.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	1435478

Comment

Wow! They turned out beautiful! Excellent job! What is the veneer? It's really pretty.

Please let us know what you think about sound quality after a few hours of break in and critical listening.

Enjoy the music!

Jim

Comment

The fronts are solid Bubinga (PAIN IN THE REAR! hard to work with)
                        the rest is a mix of redwood burl veneer and myrtle burl
                        The bass cab design for the RS225 is from the Amaroso designed by Paul K,
                        Will post more of a review after spending some time with them.

Comment

Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post
                          The fronts are solid Bubinga (PAIN IN THE REAR! hard to work with)
                          the rest is a mix of redwood burl veneer and myrtle burl
                          The bass cab design for the RS225 is from the Amaroso designed by Paul K,
                          Will post more of a review after spending some time with them.
                          Any more feedback on sound quality? I've been contacted by folks that are interested in the design but want others opinions, so that makes your feedback of great interest.

I hope you're enjoying them They are beautiful! I wish I had your cabinet skills!

Jim

Comment

These were a custom build for my friend Jason. Here are his comments:

"Description:

I can't compare The Travelers to any other speaker in its class as they are the only 3 way speakers that I have owned. I also would prefix this by saying that I feel the music and the way it has been recorded have the biggest impact on the sound over everything else. That said, in really great recordings, I am getting unbelievably large sound stage with phenomenal imaging and deep accurate base. I know this is a cliche but I am enjoying and almost rediscovering my entire record collection like it's new because I'm hearing into recordings like never before. It has also change the way I'm listening to music because I'm not skipping over as many tracks from well known album that I found to be "so-so" because this new dimensions that my stereo is producing is making the recordings sound much more interesting - keeping me focused and interested.

I have PrimaLuna ProLogue three and sevens for my system - I can say that with these speakers connected to them, I am enjoying all types of recordings (from scratchy Charlie Parker recordings to top notch audiophile recordings). With the last set of speakers I was finding that it was almost dictating the music I was listening to base on what sounded good - this is no longer the case.

As I have stated before, I am not an expert in all audiophile equipment but I would think that you couldn't buy production speakers with this sound and quality of components for under $10,000 Canadian. I spent an extra $1300 on high quality veneer woods and french polish shellac to make the speakers hopefully look as good as they sound. Although you don't need to spend as much money as I did, I personally feel that finishing off DIY speakers well is as important as the overall construction and sound. "

When I had them I found the level of detail extraordinary, but not fatiguing in the slightest. In my setup I could have used about 1db more bass, but that is a small niggle. I do think they are world class though.

Comment

Thank you for following up for me! That feedback is extremely helpful!

It sounds as if your friend is very pleased with the Travelers, so that puts a smile on our faces.

Have a great weekend!

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X