My latest build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My latest build

Kind of crazy looking right ? So it's as close as I could get it to 5 cubes net. But just the fact that my two 15" passive radiators look exactly like 15" subwoofers, makes it look like... Wait, wtf ?!?! πŸ˜€ LoL Can't wait to tell somebody, Yea, so I'm running two 15"s and an 18" in the same box ! πŸ€ͺ Its my first build.... Think it will work ? πŸ˜†

Tomorrow I'm just going to finish it off in black bedliner spray, + mount / wire the 18" + mount the two 15" PR"s.

I've always covered my enclosures in carpet, which of course hides all the perfections... But this time around, I used putty, and lots of sanding to try to make all the seams and screw holes completely disappear. They are 95% invisible now. Hoping the bedliner is thick and textured enough to completely seal the deal πŸ™‚

Oh btw, its sitting on it's backside right here. The 18" is actually going to fire straight up, while the two 15" PR's are going to fire forward towards the back of my seat.

It's going to be fun getting into the truck tomorrow ! About 200 lbs with the subwoofer.

​​​​​​​
    ​​​​​​

What does the rest of the system entail? An 18 inch sub-woofer seems huge for a truck. I'm not knocking the build; it looks good so far!
    "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

Comment

I'm running two sets of Polk Audio mids and highs (4 mids, 4 tweets), and four 8" mid bass drivers.

I have been using a Rockford Fosgate Power 1000 5 ch amp for a long time.... 4 x110, and 1 x 965..... But I finally just got a Wolfram 2400.1, and soon to get a 4 x 150... So I'll be retiring the RF Power 1000

I feel like even if the 18" makes more bass than I need, all it will need will be some tuning to knock down that cabin gain, while keeping the bass below 40 hz up.

Impo, too much bass is only a problem in the 40-60 hz range.... That's the really audible bass which tends to drown out mids / highs. But below 30hz, bring it on πŸ™‚

Comment

Originally posted by Fishchris View Post
        I'm running two sets of Polk Audio mids and highs (4 mids, 4 tweets), and four 8" mid bass drivers.

I have been using a Rockford Fosgate Power 1000 5 ch amp for a long time.... 4 x110, and 1 x 965..... But I finally just got a Wolfram 2400.1, and soon to get a 4 x 150... So I'll be retiring the RF Power 1000

I feel like even if the 18" makes more bass than I need, all it will need will be some tuning to knock down that cabin gain, while keeping the bass below 40 hz up.

Impo, too much bass is only a problem in the 40-60 hz range.... That's the really audible bass which tends to drown out mids / highs. But below 30hz, bring it on πŸ™‚
        Dang and I thought I had a set up in my Subaru! I have infinity kappa perfect 6.1 components (the originals) in the front and rear doors with an alpine 4 channel (100W x 4). The trunk has two (2) 10" kappa perfect 10d VQ (variable Q) sub-woofers (0.75 ft^3 sealed per sub if I recall correctly). The subs really have more output than I need, but I wanted some headroom rather than running full output.

Where are the components and 8" drivers mounted and how? What sort of DSP do you run and/or headunit? BTW I like what you're telling me so far!
        "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

Comment

Ahhh man.... Well two things you won't like... One, I'm not even using a DSP... Yet. But I would get one if I could figure out what one, and how to tune it.

And the other thing... My speaker placement I don't think sounds bad at all, but is probably not recommended by SQ guys for a proper soundstage... One set big mids / highs in the stock door spaces, and another serving the dash....
          But an even bigger "offense" is that I'm running my mid bass behind the seats as well. Only grabbing from 80-300hz anyway. Never notice drifting, or voices, or instraments from behind me though.

Long story short, I had never been too worried about the soundstage, and I'm really still not.
          But I know I need to get a DSP, to smooth out my peaks and valleys and, especially, to tame the cabin gain. Might be a little rediculous with this latest build πŸ™‚

Comment

Originally posted by CATCHO
            i absolutely love it but u dnon't thing if u made a bit more dimensional it would have been better ?
            Do you mean the box shape ? Well, my original plan was to have an angled face.... but with no way to cut angles, it would have been a TON more work. None the less, if this whole Passive Radiator thing works out well, the next box will pretty much HAVE to have an angled face that tucks farther in behind my seat, because the next 18" i'm looking at (an Fi Q) requires 8 cu ft.... plus it will be about 4" taller too. Nice thing though, I will be able to use both of these PR's + one more, and that 18" will get all three of these 15" PR's flexing to like 80% of there design parameters ! I know there are plenty of folks that think this is unnecessary, but the way I see it is, 1) there is always a volume control. 2) lots of headroom is never a problem, and 3) if I can tame the 45 to 50 hz cabin gain with a DSP (on my list of future upgrades) , then use the power and capabilities of the subwoofer for super deep bass, Bam

Comment

Urgggg.... I so wanted to finish it today, and I was almost there.... But the XLG can of bedliner spray was messed up, probably dropped on its nozzle πŸ˜• So I had to put it back in the house and go to work πŸ˜•

Oh well, the speaker and PR's are mounted.
              I wanted to use the thicker roll on bedliner anyway. So that be here tomorrow. Gotta love Amazon Prime πŸ™‚
              Attached Files

Comment

You can kind of see the bracing in this shot. Solid as a rock πŸ™‚
                Attached Files

Comment

Hey isn't it kind of ironic, that my 18" sub is going to be producing the bass in the 45-80 hz range, while the smaller 15" PR's are going to be making all the deepest bass in the 30hz range ?

Comment

Well, it's basically a done deal. Just waiting for the bedliner finish to dry. I'm pretty happy with it. The seams and screw divots didn't come out 100% invisible, but you do have to look really close to see them.

I'm exhausted from driving most of the night.... So I'm going to wait until after a good night of sleep to take it out and beat on it a little. Will be back to give a performance report πŸ™‚
                    Attached Files

Comment

It looks fancy. Good work! Update us on the SQ!

Comment

That is awesome work I love skar they make very good and deep sounding subs

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_03022020_203310_(1200_x_1800_pixel).jpg Views:	0 Size:	677.9 KB ID:	1430994 Alright, so I got it in the truck today, and here's the report....
                          Very good ! I'd give it a n 8.5 or 9 out of 10.

But here's the very surprising, quite interesting thing.... This morning in bed, I was thinking about the stereo, and the thought crossed my mind, "Well if it will only play deep, bass heavy music, so be it. My car is my daily driver anyway, and it sounds super musical, with one beefy little 8" sub" πŸ™‚

But guess what ? The new 18" sub with PR's sounds amazingly musical ! Even old school stuff without a lot of deep bass sounds great ! Even better than my 10"s did !? Wow ! So pleasantly surprised πŸ™‚

But yet DEEP ! I mean, crazy deep ! Now what I don't understand is that this sub is supposedly tuned to 30.48 hz, yet I played a sub woofer testing track, which has a continuous 20 hz note, and that truck has never felt a 20 hz note like that ! Yet zero wooshy port noise ? Well duh, it doesn't have any ports πŸ™‚

Now., As for loud.... Well yes, but this where my only issue lies. It can play loud, deep continuous bass notes, but when really beating on it, I was able to cause a few not so nice sounding pops.... Interestingly, on the same sort of kick drums and bass spkies that caused my 15"s to make some kind of funky pops... So I thought that one of the 15" had some voice coil issues... But that's obviously not the case with this brand new 18" sub.... And it couldn't possibly be bottoming out either, as that 20 hz note I played had rediculous excursion, and sounded (felt) beautiful !

So the more I thought about it, the more I'm thinking that my electrical system is just not able to produce enough voltage for those kick drum spikes. I mean, yes, of course, I am pushing the amp right to the edge, and getting some flickering of my clipping indicators... But I've done that with this amp for 12 years, and that has never been a problem. The problem seems to be on those quick spikes ?

Now, I had already decided that I was going to upgrade my alternator + add a few extra batteries, and that's still on my to do list.
                          But I'm thinking even before that, I might look into a nice strong capacitor ? Or how about a lithium battery ? What can I add to allow my system to get big, fast spikes of juice when needed ? Hmmm. Your thoughts ?

Anyway, other than that little issue, I'm super happy with the sound.

Fits great in the truck too πŸ™‚

PS, I already have a brand new mono amp in the closet, a 2400.1 Wolfram which will increase the wattage from 965 RMS, to about 1400.... But I'm thinking I should probably address the voltage spike issue first, as the new amp will need even more juice....

PPS.... About a year and a half ago, I started using a cheaper, lower amperage battery in the truck. It seems to keep the voltage up pretty well, but I'm sure it can't produce as many amps, in a burst, as a stronger, much more expensive battery. At that time I was just running two 10"s, but never noticed a problem. Then switched to those 15"s which started doing that popping on voltage spiking kick drums, and now the same thing with this 18" ?

​​

Comment

Originally posted by Fishchris View Post
                            Now., As for loud.... Well yes, but this where my only issue lies. It can play loud, deep continuous bass notes, but when really beating on it, I was able to cause a few not so nice sounding pops.... Interestingly, on the same sort of kick drums and bass spkies that caused my 15"s to make some kind of funky pops... So I thought that one of the 15" had some voice coil issues... But that's obviously not the case with this brand new 18" sub.... And it couldn't possibly be bottoming out either, as that 20 hz note I played had rediculous excursion, and sounded (felt) beautiful !
                            ​​
                            Just because your excursion is good at 20Hz doesn't mean it is good elsewhere. Maybe you're hitting a frequency that is overworking those passives.
                            Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                            Wogg Music
                            Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Nope. Absolutely guaranteed it's not. You can easily see the sub + the passives flexing ridiculously, like on so many YouTube vids, and no bad sounds or whatsoever.
                              then it tries to hit those quick kick drums at high volume, and you start to get some popping.... With literally less than half the excursion. I mean, it's totally obvious.

​​​​​​And again, it's totally the same thing the 15"s were doing.... So in retrospect, probably nothing wrong with those either.

I'm totally convinced at this point, it's not the sub, or PR's.

So my next step, since it won't cost me anything, is to go on and throw in my new mono amp, and see how that goes.
                              And btw, I have loved, and beat the **** out of that RF Power 1000 for 12 long years, but it did start to have some really weird screw ups and shut downs last year, and had to be sent back to Arizona twice.... I think it could be about to give up on me. Glad I have that brand new 2400.1 ready to go πŸ™‚

At this point, I'm about 95% sure its either, something in my electrical system, which really does need upgrading anyway, OR something funky going on with that amp.... which already started having the weird screw ups last year. I probably should have just replaced it then. But I just love that amp :(
                              Last edited by Fishchris; 02-04-2020, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X