No announcement yet.

My latest build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely sounds like you are hard clipping the amp on those transient drum hits. Try throwing in the other amp and see if it still has an issue. If so, try borrowing a few (like 4) stiffening caps to try out.

Comment

Well, it "kind of" feels like that to me too.... But I can get the clipping indicator for the sub channel pretty constant red, on continuous bass notes (not that Im trying to do this on a regular basis) with no popping or funky sounds from the amp. Its those short spikes of power that cause the sub to pop.... and on those super fast spikes, its almost hard to see the clipping indicator blink...

Hey Dukk, so you believe in those stiffening caps, huh ? It feels to me like those would be a good idea too, but you know their is a whole other camp, who believe these are totally worthless, and your money is better spent elsewhere. Hmmm.

Anyway, I ordered some power cable splitters and hope to be putting in the new amp in the next week. Would love to do that today, but need to give my GF a little attention, after playing with the box build all last week. Have you ever heard that thing, "If momma aint happy, aint nobody happy" ? lol

Comment

Have you upgraded your power and ground cabling from the alternator to the battery, and battery to chassis ground?

I would highly recommend it if you have not. From there I would then look at a significant amount of capacitance as previously recommended.

Comment

Yes, long, long ago 🙂 All 1/0 guage. Looking into an upgraded alternator too. Would prefer a 370 amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishchris View Post
            Well, it "kind of" feels like that to me too.... But I can get the clipping indicator for the sub channel pretty constant red, on continuous bass notes (not that Im trying to do this on a regular basis) with no popping or funky sounds from the amp. Its those short spikes of power that cause the sub to pop.... and on those super fast spikes, its almost hard to see the clipping indicator blink...

Hey Dukk, so you believe in those stiffening caps, huh ? It feels to me like those would be a good idea too, but you know their is a whole other camp, who believe these are totally worthless, and your money is better spent elsewhere. Hmmm.

Anyway, I ordered some power cable splitters and hope to be putting in the new amp in the next week. Would love to do that today, but need to give my GF a little attention, after playing with the box build all last week. Have you ever heard that thing, "If momma aint happy, aint nobody happy" ? lol
            Yeah those long low notes are hard on the charging system but pretty easy for the power supply of the amp to deal with. Those drum kicks are dumping all the capacitance out of the onboard caps and letting the power supply drop, starving the outputs and hard clipping them. Difference is like trying to close a heavy barn door by leaning into it or just kicking it. The kick is likely to break something due to its abruptness rather than actually close the door.

I'm not a huge flag waver for capacitors but they do have their place. For instance, they will not help at all with the continuous bass notes - they just do not have that kind of capacity, but for a high impact hit, that is exactly what they are for. Shady or uneducated sales people are the blame for the huge surge in cap use in the 90s, and the massive crash of it as well. That is why I suggested borrowing some to try. I have 4 or 5 1f caps in my garage. I haven't used them in years but they are handy to have around.

Comment

Hey Dukk, exactly what I'm thinking !
              going to go on and replace my sub channel amp first, since I already have it. But if the problem persists.... Or gets even worse because of the increased power draw, I'm definitely going to consider caps.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X