Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

starting a new Scanspeak WMTMW project.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Originally posted by adamedge View Post
    Hi, I'm looking for sub woofer because sub woofer is designed to reproduce much lower frequencies that a woofer can’t.
    Sub woofer reproduce frequencies within the range of 20 Hz to 200 Hz.
    How to set up my home theatre? Room size is 10*10
    Not to mention that the Avatar pic is a shot of Adam Joseph, a TV meteorologist here in the tri-county area (NJ, Delaware, Pa) on Channel 6 ABC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	adam.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1448883

Leave a comment:

• ani_101
    replied
    Thanks Ray for the details!!!

I haven't tried the 4x10HD, but have the 2x4HD and do like it.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Lee
    commented on 's reply
    Mine is on the back burner - life has changed all of the sudden and I have other things that need my attention for a while.
    Thanks for asking.

• Ray Tremblay
    replied
    Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post

I know someone already made a similar comment on the speakers you had for sale in the classifieds, but your pictures are excellent.
    Thank you, sir.

Leave a comment:

• Ray Tremblay
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Lee View Post
    Yow!! Those look sweet, Ray!

Keep us posted, please?

:D
    Thanks Steve. Absolutely. By the way, how is your project coming along?

Leave a comment:

• Ray Tremblay
    replied
    Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
    Would you be able to share the measured T/S
    Manufacturer measurements
    Fs 29 Hz
    Re 3.80 Ω
    Qts 0.31
    Le 1.38 mH
    Qms 15.35
    Qes 0.31
    Vas 7.93 cu.ft.
    Sensitivity*** 97.0 dB
    Vd 3448.2 cc
    Cms 0.06 mm/N
    BL 33.79 T-M
    Mms 508 grams
    EBP 94
    Xmax 21.00 mm
    Sd 1642.0 cm2
    Xlim 40.4 mm

Third party measurements
    Qts 0.296
    Qes 0.31
    Qms 6.598
    Fs 29.5 Hz
    Res 3.6 Ω
    Le 1.93 mH
    Vas 214.1 liters
    Mms 519.45 g
    Cms 56 μm/N
    BL 33.42 Tm
    BL2/Res 310 N2/Watt
    L/R Time Constant 0.536 miliseconds
    SplSens 94.4

Leave a comment:

• Ray Tremblay
    replied
    NSW6021_6_cab (1).pdf
    Ok, here's the pdf.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Ray Tremblay
    replied
    Would you be able to share the measured T/S and the 15cu ft box model you are considering for the subs?
    There are four recommended enclosures on the Eminence website for the NSW6021-6. Small, medium, and large vented enclosures each for a single NSW6021-6 and a large vented enclosure for a pair of NSW6021-6's. The large vented enclosures for singles look good. 15 cubic feet gross volume, with a response that starts to roll off right around 25 hertz. Playing in WinISD, this enclosure seems to be on the money. I can play with port tuning after I build them but I doubt I'll need to.

Leave a comment:

• Ray Tremblay
    replied
    Are you planning to full active or partial active. Interested in knowing about the rest of the chain and your thoughts on it too.
    Completely active. I'm not a fan of passive crossovers.

I run all audio from my computer tower (windows 10 64 bit) out of the spdif fiber optic output on my sound card in to the fiber optic input of the miniDSP and then out of the balanced analog outputs to the amplifiers.

When I finish building the new six channel amplifier with ICE modules, the signal sent to each channel will be single ended. These ICE amplifiers unfortunately do not have balanced inputs but this will be a very short run from the processor which will be mounted directly above it so it's unlikely that noise will be an issue.

I'll be using a rack mount Behringer NX3000D amplifier for the NSW subs which will more than likely get switched out to a Behringer iNuke NU12000.​ These rack mount amplifiers have balanced inputs, like most pro audio gear.

I think the larger MiniDSP processors are great. They do everything I need. Every type of input, every type of output. No complaints.

I think the ICE amplifiers are a good "cost vs performance and features" balance. I love that they have built in power supplies and from what I've seen of others using them, it doesn't appear that they need fans, even under heavy, long term use.

​​​​​​​The Behringer amplifiers in terms of dollars per watts just can't be beat if you need a ton of power at a cheap price. 2000 RMS is plenty for my home stereo but these will also get used in a PA so I'm looking for an NU12000DSP. Not the cleanest power ever but perfectly suitable for sub duty, even in a hifi system assuming you switch to quiet fans.

Leave a comment:

• ani_101
    replied
    Would you be able to share the measured T/S and the 15cu ft box model you are considering for the subs?

Leave a comment:

• ani_101
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray Tremblay View Post

Direct comparisons of the Dayton Vortex against the top subs from the major players unfortunately haven't been made yet. When forming an opinion of them, I had nothing to go off of other than TS specs. Comparisons of the Eminence NSW6021-6 have been made and it's only peer is the B&C 21IPAL.

Deciding on subs was a lot tougher than I thought it would be. I wanted the best subwoofers I could get regardless of cost. That set the bar pretty high. The initial considerations were four ScanSpeak 32W's or a pair of TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400's. I decided against the LMS Ultra's because I didn't want to buy used. The Scans appeared to be the winners at that point. Then I decided that I absolutely had to have subs that could do double duty; live sound and home audio. So I started looking at pro audio subs. Acoustic Elegance 18H+'s with the Apollo upgrade almost happened but I wanted over the top power handling and displacement to go along with sound quality. The B&C 21IPAL and Eminence NSW6021-6 were the only two subs that met that criteria. In terms of measured performance, the subs are basically equals. I wanted the B&C's because my 12" coaxials are B&C but the 21IPAL's are 1 ohm. Because of NSW6021-6's incredible specs and measurements, brand longevity, reputation, my past experience with their drivers, along with a reasonable 6 ohm impedance, the new beast from Eminence won my heart.
    Thanks Ray of your selection process. The pictures do look good. Looking forward to your observations of the eminence 21" and the entire system of course.

Are you planning to full active or partial active. Interested in knowing about the rest of the chain and your thoughts on it too.

Leave a comment:

• a4eaudio
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray Tremblay View Post
    Pictures really don't do this driver justice. It's a beautiful, massive beast. They're so big, they look fake. Like a prop.
    I know someone already made a similar comment on the speakers you had for sale in the classifieds, but your pictures are excellent. Looking forward to the progress...especially seeing the 15 cf enclosure.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Lee
    replied
    Yow!! Those look sweet, Ray!

Keep us posted, please?

:D

Leave a comment:

• Ray Tremblay
    replied
    Pictures really don't do this driver justice. It's a beautiful, massive beast. They're so big, they look fake. Like a prop.

Congrats to Eminence for pulling off that old school, American, industrial look. This is a really cool looking driver.

Leave a comment:

• Ray Tremblay
    replied
    why not the PE 21's? any pro's cons of the PE 21 vs the eminence 21's? Haven't looked at them closely, but would like to follow your thoughts

*edit* Looks like there's a bunch of 21" subs.... hmmm....!
    Direct comparisons of the Dayton Vortex against the top subs from the major players unfortunately haven't been made yet. When forming an opinion of them, I had nothing to go off of other than TS specs. Comparisons of the Eminence NSW6021-6 have been made and it's only peer is the B&C 21IPAL.

Deciding on subs was a lot tougher than I thought it would be. I wanted the best subwoofers I could get regardless of cost. That set the bar pretty high. The initial considerations were four ScanSpeak 32W's or a pair of TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400's. I decided against the LMS Ultra's because I didn't want to buy used. The Scans appeared to be the winners at that point. Then I decided that I absolutely had to have subs that could do double duty; live sound and home audio. So I started looking at pro audio subs. Acoustic Elegance 18H+'s with the Apollo upgrade almost happened but I wanted over the top power handling and displacement to go along with sound quality. The B&C 21IPAL and Eminence NSW6021-6 were the only two subs that met that criteria. In terms of measured performance, the subs are basically equals. I wanted the B&C's because my 12" coaxials are B&C but the 21IPAL's are 1 ohm. Because of NSW6021-6's incredible specs and measurements, brand longevity, reputation, my past experience with their drivers, along with a reasonable 6 ohm impedance, the new beast from Eminence won my heart.
    Last edited by Ray Tremblay; 08-11-2020, 08:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X