Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

starting a new Scanspeak WMTMW project.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting a new Scanspeak WMTMW project.......

I've finally acquired all of the drivers necessary for a speaker project that I've been considering for a very long time. I will use separate subs which I'm still undecided on. Maybe just a pair of Dayton Ultimax or Reference 18's to keep it cheap and simple or maybe a quartet of Scan Rev 32W's to keep it in the family? I'm also liking the new Eminence NSW 21" pro audio sub. A pair of those would work and I could also use them with my B&C 12HCX76 12" co-axes.

Anyone have any enclosure ideas?

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Scanspeak Revelator R2904/7000's, Scanspeak Revelator 15M/4531K00's, Scanspeak Revelator 22W/8857T00's, Eminence NSW6021's.
    MiniDSP 4x10HD. ICE Power amplification and an iNuke 3000.

Sennheiser HD650's powered by TEAC amplification.

I guess I'd be thinking along the lines of a Scan MtM up top w/the 10" RSSs below. Gosh, sure wouldn't think you'd NEED any MORE sub w/that kind of horsepower.

In 3cf (closed), a pair of HF10s would take about 400w down to 30 (F3 near 40), whereas they'd take more like 500wRMS down below 20 (F3 near 30) in 3 "tuned" cf, but you'd prob. want some PRs as appropriate (slot?) vents would be sooo long they have their 1st resonance up near 60Hz.
    Last edited by Chris Roemer; 07-20-2020, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
      I guess I'd be thinking along the lines of a Scan MtM up top w/the 10" RSSs below. Gosh, sure wouldn't think you'd NEED any MORE sub w/that kind of horsepower.

In 3cf, a pair of HF10s would take about 400w down to 30 (F3 near 40), whereas they'd take more like 500wRMS down below 20 (F3 near 30) but you'd prob. want some PRs as appropriate (slot?) vents would be sooo long they have their 1st resonance up near 60Hz.
      I'm definitely interested in the Scan MTM but I want the aluminum Scan Rev 22W's above and below it. I already have a Scan Rev MT with a 10" RSS below it. I want to separate the subs for optimal room placement. I know what the RSS 10's can get me and I definitely want more. I want this to be my last system. I know, I know, it never works that way but I really think this Scan Rev WMTMW with R2904 tweeters, 15M/4531K00 mids, and 22W/8857T00 woofers along with a pair of Eminence NSW6021 subs is the end game system for me. And the Eminence subs which would have plywood cabs with 4" rubber casters can double for other uses.
      Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Scanspeak Revelator R2904/7000's, Scanspeak Revelator 15M/4531K00's, Scanspeak Revelator 22W/8857T00's, Eminence NSW6021's.

Comment

Hi, I'm looking for sub woofer because sub woofer is designed to reproduce much lower frequencies that a woofer can’t.
        Sub woofer reproduce frequencies within the range of 20 Hz to 200 Hz.
        How to set up my home theatre? Room size is 10*10
        cracking the coding interview pdf 8th edition

Comment

• Rory Buszka
          Rory Buszka commented
          Editing a comment
          Adam: You may want to ask your question in the main forum. Spend some time describing what the rest of your system is and what your budget will allow.
          Admins: Possible spammer - asking an oddly general question in a thread with a specific topic, and in the wrong forum; not well written.

I've gone back and forth a hundred times on my plans for enclosures so this project is temporarily on hold until I can make a definite decision on configuration and figure out who I'm going to have build them. In the time being, the Merlot project is getting some changes. I'm in the process of removing the RSS265HF's from the Parts Express 1 cubic foot piano black MTM cabinets that they're currently side mounted in and mounting the Scanspeak Revelator 22W/8857T00 8" aluminum woofers in the front. The RSS265HF mounting holes will be covered with MDF. So a TMWW for a little while.

Since I needed more amplifier channels for the Scan 22W's, I decided to go ahead and get four ICE power modules. One to power the Scan Rev R2904 tweeters, one to power the four Scan Rev 15M mids, and two to power the four Scan Rev 22W woofers. These will be mounted in a custom 2U rackmount case that is on it's way from Latvia. I'm really excited about building this new 6 channel ICE Power amplifer!

As an experimental subwoofer project, I'm going to use a pair of RSS315HO-44's that I've had sitting around for somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 years.......more driver hoarding.........
        They'll go in sealed enclosures and will be powered by my iNuke 3000 that is currently powering my RSS265's. The RSS315HO-44's have nearly identical displacement to the Scanspeak Revelator 32W/4878T00 subwoofers. Both have a 14mm Xmax. The RSS315HO-44's have an Sd of 507 while the Scan 32W's have an Sd of 526. Basically the same. If the RSS315HO-44's prove to have enough displacement for the new listening room then the Scan 32W's will be fine. If not, then I'll consider Ultimax 18's or Eminence NSW6021's.

That's the plan for now......

Comment

ive read hockey pucks are good for big / heavy speakers . makes it easy to get a 13" wheeled hand truck under it .
          donc

Comment

Originally posted by donwc View Post
            ive read hockey pucks are good for big / heavy speakers . makes it easy to get a 13" wheeled hand truck under it .
            donc
            I may need them now. The plans changed again and the new subs are going to be a little ridiculous.

Comment

Change of plans for the subs. I ordered a pair of 21" Eminence NSW6021-6's. I'm building two 15 cubic foot ported enclosures for them.

Comment

why not the PE 21's? any pro's cons of the PE 21 vs the eminence 21's? Haven't looked at them closely, but would like to follow your thoughts

*edit* Looks like there's a bunch of 21" subs.... hmmm....!

Comment

Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
                  why not the PE 21's? any pro's cons of the PE 21 vs the eminence 21's? Haven't looked at them closely, but would like to follow your thoughts

*edit* Looks like there's a bunch of 21" subs.... hmmm....!
                  Direct comparisons of the Dayton Vortex against the top subs from the major players unfortunately haven't been made yet. When forming an opinion of them, I had nothing to go off of other than TS specs. Comparisons of the Eminence NSW6021-6 have been made and it's only peer is the B&C 21IPAL.

Deciding on subs was a lot tougher than I thought it would be. I wanted the best subwoofers I could get regardless of cost. That set the bar pretty high. The initial considerations were four ScanSpeak 32W's or a pair of TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400's. I decided against the LMS Ultra's because I didn't want to buy used. The Scans appeared to be the winners at that point. Then I decided that I absolutely had to have subs that could do double duty; live sound and home audio. So I started looking at pro audio subs. Acoustic Elegance 18H+'s with the Apollo upgrade almost happened but I wanted over the top power handling and displacement to go along with sound quality. The B&C 21IPAL and Eminence NSW6021-6 were the only two subs that met that criteria. In terms of measured performance, the subs are basically equals. I wanted the B&C's because my 12" coaxials are B&C but the 21IPAL's are 1 ohm. Because of NSW6021-6's incredible specs and measurements, brand longevity, reputation, my past experience with their drivers, along with a reasonable 6 ohm impedance, the new beast from Eminence won my heart.
                  Last edited by Ray Tremblay; 08-11-2020, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Pictures really don't do this driver justice. It's a beautiful, massive beast. They're so big, they look fake. Like a prop.

Congrats to Eminence for pulling off that old school, American, industrial look. This is a really cool looking driver.

Comment

Yow!! Those look sweet, Ray!

Keep us posted, please?

:D

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tremblay View Post
                        Pictures really don't do this driver justice. It's a beautiful, massive beast. They're so big, they look fake. Like a prop.
                        I know someone already made a similar comment on the speakers you had for sale in the classifieds, but your pictures are excellent. Looking forward to the progress...especially seeing the 15 cf enclosure.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tremblay View Post

Direct comparisons of the Dayton Vortex against the top subs from the major players unfortunately haven't been made yet. When forming an opinion of them, I had nothing to go off of other than TS specs. Comparisons of the Eminence NSW6021-6 have been made and it's only peer is the B&C 21IPAL.

Deciding on subs was a lot tougher than I thought it would be. I wanted the best subwoofers I could get regardless of cost. That set the bar pretty high. The initial considerations were four ScanSpeak 32W's or a pair of TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400's. I decided against the LMS Ultra's because I didn't want to buy used. The Scans appeared to be the winners at that point. Then I decided that I absolutely had to have subs that could do double duty; live sound and home audio. So I started looking at pro audio subs. Acoustic Elegance 18H+'s with the Apollo upgrade almost happened but I wanted over the top power handling and displacement to go along with sound quality. The B&C 21IPAL and Eminence NSW6021-6 were the only two subs that met that criteria. In terms of measured performance, the subs are basically equals. I wanted the B&C's because my 12" coaxials are B&C but the 21IPAL's are 1 ohm. Because of NSW6021-6's incredible specs and measurements, brand longevity, reputation, my past experience with their drivers, along with a reasonable 6 ohm impedance, the new beast from Eminence won my heart.
                          Thanks Ray of your selection process. The pictures do look good. Looking forward to your observations of the eminence 21" and the entire system of course.

Are you planning to full active or partial active. Interested in knowing about the rest of the chain and your thoughts on it too.

Comment

Would you be able to share the measured T/S and the 15cu ft box model you are considering for the subs?

Comment

Working...
                            X