No announcement yet.

The Half-sheet Heroes - Quick and dirty HT monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any T/S parameters in particular that you look for in a different woofer in order to make it an easier modification without too much crossover complexity?

I understand most of the T/S parameters due to being into car audio for quite a while. However, my auto systems have always been active,, so I don't have knowledge of passive crossover networks and how to make drivers blend together that way..

I know this is somewhat off topic, but your idea for this is something that I would like to pursue further if you don't mind.

Comment

A horn loaded 12" 2-way is nothing new, especially in the pro/pa segment. I just happened to find some drivers that worked well together with minimal crossover and a small enclosure. Lookup the "Econowave". That was a big collaborative effort that seemed to span several forums.

t/s parameters have more to do with what enclosure type (sealed, ported, ect) and enclosure size/volume would work better for a particular driver. It is the response and impedance graphs that matter the most for crossover design.

Check out youtube for crossover design. There many videos out there. It realy comes down to familiarizing yourself with all the circuits, playing with the many calculators out there and comparing to many of the free tools available. I just happen to use Jeff Bagby's tools since I found 123toids videos that instructed on how to get setup with it. (requires MS excel though).

Comment

I have looked at the Econowave designs some. I think they mostly deal with the compression driver part tho. The woofer part and crossover are still up to the builder correct ? That's the issue I have.

Comment

"Econowave" was actually the name of a JBL horn design I believe. There are many combinations of horn, compression driver and woofer out there that I have seen that were taken under the wing of the project, and crossovers designed for each.

What it comes down to is if you want to play with different components that is entirely on you. If you want to get my results then you must follow my recipe. That is how it goes with any design.

Comment

PE Tech Talk Econowave thread with several designs. Various woofers. horns and boxes. I built the Standard.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...our-pcd-mettle

Comment

Thanks guys. I will read more about the Econowave designs in the posted link 👍

Comment

Ok guys. I don't mean to derail this thread ( actually my observation has to do with the original post too ).

It appears to me, by looking at all the graphs in the Econowave link posted above, that all of those don't have much - if any - response below around 100 Hz. Please correct me if I'm wrong and looking at something differently.

Comment

These are very efficient/sensitive designs. So generally speaking you will give up some frequency extension to get that in return. Also all of these designs had home theater in mind. So subwoofer is a given. Making bass output below 100hz not so necessary compared to getting loud with accuracy.

A properly setup 2.1 rig isn't the end of the world either; especially if you listen to any "modern" bass heavy stuff. That's what im rocking right now until I can get my listening room online. But I do plan on rotating in speaker builds so Ive got a 12" ultimax ready to press into service when necessary.

Comment

• djg
                    djg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Loud or low, pick one. In the context of a 2 or 3 way with a single amp channel driving the entire speaker array.

So I finally picked up a umm-6 and tested these out. Testing was not perfect. Couch is in the middle of the room so I plunked a speaker in the middle of the couch and put the mic on the arm. I set a 3.33ms gate in REW but maybe it didn't take effect? Now I have mixed feelings... On one hand I know Ive been made a fool for believing the factory graph on the woofer, but on the other hand now I get to fix it! Surprised I couldn't detect that massive hump. Every once in a while It'd give a zinger note but not often.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	mf5dOaf.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.1 KB ID:	1452228being shou

Comment

I tried a 2nd order on both (same bsc) out of some parts I had on-hand. Not great but an improvement overall. may still tinker with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ot87jCj.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1452974

Comment

Here is the cut layout. Super simple. Could eek out another 1/2-3/4 of height by lengthening the 18" and 16.5" pieces by as much to get up to about 1.2cf. But I used the leftover waste pieces as horizontal braces against the front (between the driver holes) and back.

Name:	aMY5yH5.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1453179

Comment

Name:	96fjVQo.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1457196 Have tried a few other crossover combos and arrived at this one sofar. Response still looks like a freshly plowed field but that is cheapy drivers for ya. Impedance plot goes to the moon too due to staying with single small cap on the tweeter. Fortunately my Pioneer amp doesn't seem to complain.
                        ​​
                        I picked up some buyout horn tweets here at PE a while ago to play around with. Might swap out the factory horns for some adapters and give em a try.

Comment

Working...
                        X