The JPG - A tribute to my dad's DIY work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4thtry View Post
    Nice design. Thanks for sharing. I bet the BR version could really belt out the deep bass! You mentioned that the mid and tweeter were vertically oriented. How was this accomplished? Did the originals use custom, angled mounting rings of some type?
    Thanks! The originals had some fantastic bass, classic sealed feel to it where it wasn't overdone or in your face, but super deep when called for. I have to admit I'm not sure what you mean by BR though. Also, the "vertically oriented" is probably the wrong term, I just meant vertically aligned. Just like this design, the mid and tweeter were in a line with the cabinet on the side. Nothing fancy.

Originally posted by jtheisen521 View Post
    SB just released a new 2.5” mid to their Satoti line. Looks pretty robust but of course it’s pricey. May be worth look though as I think it will be the mid that will make or break this design. It’s available in Wisconsin Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I see the ScanSpeak Discovery D7608/9200-10 on said "other" place. That looks nice! That would do the trick a little better, but without comparably measured FRD and ZMA files I can't theorize. If one were to build and had proper measurement gear to design using real life files, I'd go with that one. It ups the cost by about $120, but would probably be worth it.

Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music
    Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Bass-Reflex = BR.

Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
        Bass-Reflex = BR. Wolf
        Ha! I was overthinking that one.
        Wogg Music
        Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

I was referring to the Satori MD60N-6 dome mid. But they’re pretty steep at $168 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That Satori won't play very low at all, and the impedance curve implies they skipped a shorting ring.
            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

This should be a straight forward physics exercise. A certain diameter driver producing a certain SPL at a certain frequency will require a particular Xmax. I found this calculator online: http://www.baudline.com/erik/bass/xmaxer.html
              So some quick numbers in there should help tell us what the limit is at 500Hz for these mids.
              • Using 2" for the dayton, I get an output of 100dB at 1 meter before breaching the 1mm Xmax, which is shy of the woofer capability. That mid will stress out when the music gets loud.
              • That Satiori is worse, with only 0.5mm of Xmax to play with. The extra 1/2" isn't enough to compensate for the lack of Xmax, so it's likely to poop out at 97dB.
              • The ScanSpeak D7608 looks the best, with a 3" diameter and 1.5mm of Xmax it should push near 110dB before giving up. The downside is that it needs a rear chamber, but a simple stuffed PVC cap should do it fine. The loss of volume will be insignificant for that big cabinet and woofer.
              So my conclusion is:
              The design as published above will work fine, but expect low mid-range distortion increases when cranked to party levels.
              To correct that, pony out some $ and go for the ScanSpeak Discovery D7608/9200-10. You'll need to be capable of measurements to adjust the crossover to use the alternate mid, but it will crank with low distortion much better.
              Wogg Music

Comment

Working...
              X