LamiNATE'd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LamiNATE'd

I recently have been experimenting with laser cut speaker cabinets. Previous projects have utilized finger joints and cube shaped designs. This is where LamiNATE'd differs. As you might have guessed, this speaker will be built from layers of wood glued together. They will utilize 1/4" layers of cherry and maple sandwiched between two 3/8" slices of walnut. 1/4" aluminum rods will be used to align the slices. The baffle will be made from a flat ~.1" piece of material and have an RS100-4 mounted to it. I will be paring these with a bed liner coated Voxel and powering them all with the mini Lepai LP210PA plate amp. Here is an initial CAD model and the laser cutting layout of the inner pieces.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	model.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1450657 Click image for larger version

Name:	inner pieces.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1450656
    My Builds - Vigor (Nola Brio Knockoff) - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Looking good. Great idea. Will be interesting to see what you do for a contour filter for the Rs100-4

thats a great little driver and I’ve enjoyed using it

Comment

Conceptually beautiful. As ceiol stated, a very nice driver.

Comment

Here are more updates. Each speaker has 3 different types of "slices". A majority are the inner slices that you see in the layout above. These alternate between 1/4" maple and cherry. On either side of the inner slices in one slice of maple that is almost a full side except for recess to allow for a flush baffle. Finally full sides of 3/8" walnut. The initial plan for the baffle was for a machined aluminum plate, but I have yet to make it. I may consider 3D printing it and applying walnut veneer. Here are some photos of my progress to date.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	pieces.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	648.5 KB
ID:	1450769 Click image for larger version

Name:	ready to glue.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	1450766 Click image for larger version

Name:	sanding.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	1450767 Click image for larger version

Name:	glued.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	538.4 KB
ID:	1450770 Click image for larger version

Name:	final sanding.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	457.5 KB
ID:	1450768
        My Builds - Vigor (Nola Brio Knockoff) - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

Impressive and lovely!

Comment

Wow those look great!!!

Comment

Very nice. Would you say the belt sander is useful?

Comment

Looking nice so far. Whats your internal volume and port tune? That technique looks like it will make a beautiful solid enclosure. A white faceplate might be nice.

Comment

Thanks everyone
                  I'm going to start with a known notch filter used in another design with this driver. The little plate amp has a fixed 100Hz 6dB/octave filter. The volume for the driver will be around 100^3 in and the port will tune to around 85Hz.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	tuning.JPG Views:	0 Size:	138.7 KB ID:	1450883
                  The combo sander cost me $60 and it makes dust just fine. If you buy one, do plan on spending some time to properly set it up. For small projects I find it easier to manipulate the part rather than a handheld sander. I'm no woodworking expert though.
                  I'll give some thought to your white baffle suggestion.
                  Nate - oh, maybe the project name makes more sense now...

Comment

Working...
                  X