Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanks for all the input, here are the results!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for all the input, here are the results!

A while I posted for suggestions on how to rebuild some custom speakers that were given to me. I took some, if not all, comments to heart. Realizing I didn't know what I didn't know, my first order was to commission a crossover design based off a ScanSpeak woofer I selected (ScanSpeak 32W/8878T01 13"). Working with the gent who actually knew how to work the software for crossover design, I decided on a ScanSpeak mid (15M/4624G) and a Transducer Labs tweeter (N26CS). The cabinets were my main catalyst for reworking these, they are really well-built and look great coupled with my vintage Westinghouse console I repurposed as my equipment house. The front baffle on the speakers was two pieces. I decided to add a 1/2" baffle on top of the existing baffle in order to 1) stiffen the baffle and 2) mirror the cut-outs. Based on the specs of the woofer, I also added a 3" port (9" long) to each speaker. I isolated the midrange speakers with a piece of 6" PVC pipe, filled with fiberglass insulation. The crossover design was (from my perspective) fairly complex as this was the first crossover I have built. But I put it together and was pleased to find out a signal could pass thru each path. I realize I could have accomplished the build on a much smaller board, but logically following the signal path helped me understand what I was doing. It ain't pretty but it works. I then painted the new mdf baffle black, the texture of the mdf gave it a crinkle effect which really looks great. So far (given I'm still in the honeymoon phase), I like what I hear. The 13" woofer goes pretty deep and the combination of drivers isn't fatiguing at all. And it sounds great at low volumes, which is how I mostly listen due to an uncooperating War Department. At louder volumes, you can really feel the woofer pound. I had wired some Lpads in to the previous configuration, but I bypassed them on this setup, hoping I won't need them. And I think I won't. Overall really happy and happy I found this place. It gave me a lot to think about as I planned the refurb.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	1453262
    Speakers as I received them. Dig the cool purple velvet grill cloth. These were made in the late 70's / early 80's the best I can tell. Someone in NJ built them and did a really nice job on the cabinets.

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	1453263 My first crossover build. Ridiculously ugly and inefficient use of real estate, but I laid it out so I wouldn't have to worry about the inductors being too close to each other.

Name:	20200923_144300.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	1453264 Finished product. I really like the look, especially compared to the first picture!

Name:	20201003_054415.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	1453265 Lined up with my repurposed Westinghouse TV console

Name:	20201003_043546.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	1453266 On the Westinghouse, I stripped out all the components and built some inserts to house my amp, preamp, phono amp and headphone amp. I then built a compartment under the lids to house turntable stuff (carts, cleaning, etc.) and used a plunger switch to ignite led strips when opened. Where the speakers used to be is storage. I cut out the front panels out of pegboard, covered them with black grill cloth. The middle panels slide to the side, the outside panels are held on via magnets. Only thing left to do is wire in a master power switch. Love the way it looks and the speakers complement it nicely.

Nice job! Original Phillips drivers?
    Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Very attractive!

Comment

Originally posted by thekorvers View Post
        Nice job! Original Phillips drivers?
        The speakers as I got them had Phillips mids and tweeters, but they were dead. The woofer was a 12" BIC.

Comment

I really like the vintage vibe you have created in that room with those speakers and that console. Those guitars are super cool, Les Paul with p90s and an ES-335?

Comment

Originally posted by trevordj View Post
            I really like the vintage vibe you have created in that room with those speakers and that console. Those guitars are super cool, Les Paul with p90s and an ES-335?
            Those are actually my own builds, the Goldtop is a Bluetone Fillmore, the ES-style is called a Regal. I used to build custom guitars under the Bluetone Guitars http://www.bluetoneguitars.com moniker, not so much anymore. The Goldtop has a black korina body and white korina neck, beautiful guitar. Here's a shot of the back.

Name:	f2back2.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1453315

Comment

Originally posted by Bluetone View Post

Those are actually my own builds, the Goldtop is a Bluetone Fillmore, the ES-style is called a Regal. I used to build custom guitars under the Bluetone Guitars http://www.bluetoneguitars.com moniker, not so much anymore. The Goldtop has a black korina body and white korina neck, beautiful guitar. Here's a shot of the back.

Name:	f2back2.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1453315
              Dude! That thing is sweet. I love that contoured heel and wood selection. Very well done.

Comment

Nice work all around.

Comment

Cool project! Nice guitar too
                  See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Bluetone View Post

The speakers as I got them had Phillips mids and tweeters, but they were dead. The woofer was a 12" BIC.
                    That's what I thought: AD760? series mids and AD1060T? series tweeters. I used some of those in the late 1960's. With off the shelf cross-overs of course before I knew any better.

I guess that pretty well dates me.
                    Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

This is a speaker that I would love to hear. Beautiful work on the guitar. The korina grain is beautiful, as is your woodwork. 🤘Glenn.

Comment

Working...
                      X