Desktop Obelisks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desktop Obelisks

Here's my latest project, a miniature desktop speaker utilizing a pair of 28mm BMR drivers and a pair of Dayton 2.5" ND65-PR's, tuned to ~140Hz using the enclosure volume, no added mass on the PR's. It's intended primarily for use with a sub woofer, but actually sounds quite impressive without one, considering its 68x50mm footprint and 350ml acoustic volume! measured response is 115Hz to 20kHz nominal.

The enclosure is 3D printed in one piece +optional stand and accent panel on the front. The stand cants the speaker back 8 degrees. The end result is very pleasing to the ear, these BMR drivers have a pretty sweet sound.

Parts list, per speaker:
    Attached Files

Very cool looking! Great little desktop build.
    No XO, right?
    It is amazing what can be done with a printer these days...
    Andy

Comment

Indeed, no XO. I’ve tried using them with a sub, both with a Lepai plate amp, and with a Dayton dsp amp. With the plate amp I think they get a fairly soft roll off at 100Hz. With the DSP I used a 48db XO at 140Hz. The difference in sound wasn’t striking, but you can see far less cone movement with the higher cut off.

Comment

i dont know how i missed these, seems like something right up my alley, combines both 3d printed with a compact design.

my problem like the 35's is id try push them too hard with the bass heavy tracks to see if they distort at max volume which is completely unrealistic for what one uses them for. I have wanted to give them a go ever since hexibase did that small printed TL with them

Great work!

Comment

These can kick out plenty of volume for near field use, but they are not going to raise the roof, obviously. I started this whole project because that TL design kinda sucks; the bass extension is quite impressive, but the pipe resonances are just a nightmare. This is a whole world better, even if I say so myself. I made a video of them operating with a subwoofer:
          https://youtu.be/HtjmpNfu1sg

And the files are available here, (I gave PE the files for the project gallery, but they posted the project without the files):
          https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4762555

Comment

That's pretty darned cool!

Comment

Working...
            X