No announcement yet.

Amp Camp amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least the holes are all round I really like the latching LED switches for amp projects.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.PNG
Views:	362
Size:	377.8 KB
ID:	1461806
    My Builds - Vigor (Nola Brio Knockoff) - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

• djg
      djg commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice switches. I'm putting a toggle on the back. There will be two LEDS in the front panel indicating power to each channel. They supplied red and blue LEDs. I know blue is the preferred color here at PETT, but I think I'll go red.

Name:	IMG_0022 (1).JPG
Views:	358
Size:	509.4 KB
ID:	1461875

Comment

• silverD
      silverD commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking good! I don't care for blue LEDs. I use the white LED switches and dim them as needed.

Name:	IMG_0025 (1).JPG
Views:	342
Size:	465.8 KB
ID:	1461896 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0024 (1).JPG Views:	0 Size:	437.0 KB ID:	1461894 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0023 (1).JPG Views:	0 Size:	448.1 KB ID:	1461892

Comment

Putting one of these together in a day at an "Amp Camp" would be a chore. The nice DIYaudio kit back panel vs my crude labels.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0027 (1).JPG Views:	0 Size:	475.6 KB ID:	1462173 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0028 (1).JPG Views:	0 Size:	481.6 KB ID:	1462174

Click image for larger version  Name:	aca back.jpg Views:	0 Size:	324.5 KB ID:	1462175
      Last edited by djg; 01-19-2021, 05:15 PM.

Comment

I think your back panel came out really nice. Especially since that's a lot of holes!

They do have white letter on black label for label makers which would possibly get you closer to the big company style of lettering... Brother TZ-E335 Label Maker Tape, 0.47"W, White On Black | Quill.com

I was talking with Kevin a few years ago about possibly having some adhesive textured plastic sheets made up with various electronic logos printed up such as you would have used on your amp... like (+) and (-) Out, In, power logos, and a bunch other stuff. It wouldn't be a slick as the silk screened stuff on the pre-made up amp back, but it would be pretty good for DIY stuff. I didn't proceed with it as I just had too many things going on at the time. I was thinking of having multiple things printed on a sheet, and you would just cut out the icon you needed, peel the adhesive backing, and stick it on.

It was an idea, anyway, didn't say it was a good one.

Name:	icons electrical.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1462179

Your amp is looking really nice, and it's fun watching it progress. Thanks for posting the details. I've dreamed about making my own amp for years. I have the stuff to make one, but I want to make the case myself, so it must wait until I'm thinking clearly about it.

TomZ
        Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

I could not find white on black tape to fit my cheap little Brother label maker, and I did look.

Every hole is an opportunity to fail, thanks for your kind words. I'm sure your future amp will be as nice as your little boombox radios and speakers.

Comment

Wiring done.

Name:	IMG_0029 (1).JPG
Views:	256
Size:	509.2 KB
ID:	1462242

Comment

Looks like it's almost time for that first magic moment...sans smoke of course. The positive speaker terminals are tied to ground, interesting.
              My Builds - Vigor (Nola Brio Knockoff) - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

• djg
                djg commented
                Editing a comment
                The genius of Nelson Pass. I'll have my own little Burning Amp Festival.

Inverting amp? Flip the output polarity! Boom, done.

Later,
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Setting bias amp #1.

Name:	IMG_0030 (1).JPG
Views:	230
Size:	523.3 KB
ID:	1462269

Comment

They work.They get hot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0031 (1).JPG Views:	0 Size:	498.9 KB ID:	1462274

Comment

• silverD
                    silverD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Make sure to use those PE coupons!

So, in bridged use a pair of these have plenty of power for a 2.1 nearfield setup. They were crossed at 80hz and played through 8 ohm Continuums. I will set them up in the living room with the Zingers to explore full range use single and pair, later today maybe. I have a mess to clean up in my listening room from building these.

Comment

I love the smell of warm electronics in the morning...

They came out great, looks very tidy inside. Something for me to shoot for if I ever get off the bleachers.

I noticed the positive speaker terminals were connected to the power-in, I but I thought it was the negative side... I know nothing about amps.

Specifications:
                    8 watts per channel from 20 Hz, to 59 Hz and 61 Hz to 20,000 Hz;
                    2000 watts per channel at 60 Hz.

TomZ
                    Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

Excellent build guide for this amp and an update for the 1.8 version which changed the rear panel only. Oodles of much better quality photos than mine, even some videos.

https://guides.diyaudio.com/Guide/Am...+Build+Guide/5

https://guides.diyaudio.com/Guide/Am...ion/10?lang=en

Comment

If I were to build a practical amp, it wouldn't be this one. The kit is really nice, well supported and documented. But it's very expensive for the results. If I wanted a nice looking wooden case project, I would look at the tube amp kits from Tube Depot. They are bare kits, I think they supply a board to put it on. You could make a really nice looking desktop item. If you don't have young children present you can leave the hot tubes exposed for viewing pleasure.

AEIOU built a very nice looking amp from one of these.

Comment

Working...
                        X