No announcement yet.

Amp Camp amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kind of a late question, but how hard was the drilling and tapping of the holes for the chassis? As you mention, there are some much more expensive chassis out there, but many people make it sound like it is worth it because drilling and tapping can be a nightmare.

Comment

• djg
      djg commented
      Editing a comment
      I've done quite a bit of sheet aluminum work. You get one chance to do it right, when you have a kit. It wasn't really hard, but you need to be careful.

It's far from a "nightmare".

Edit: If you do try this, the little M3 tap is very brittle. That was the only operation that worried me. I bought a good quality tap (Bosch) and a spare, and lubricated the tap. Made a few turns and backed it out to clean it often.
      Last edited by djg; 01-27-2021, 11:32 AM.

• wogg
      wogg commented
      Editing a comment
      I've broken a number of taps in aluminum. Oil, patience, and repeatedly backing out every turn or so and it's not bad.

• djg
      djg commented
      Editing a comment
      And the aluminum in this kit was quite tough. I expected "cheap Chinese" quality.

So I'm back to the Outlaw monoblocks and Dayton SPA250DSP kit sub. Effortlessly overpowered for anything I care to hook up.

ACAs on craigslist.
    Last edited by djg; 01-29-2021, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X