Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• djg
    replied
    I could not find white on black tape to fit my cheap little Brother label maker, and I did look.

Every hole is an opportunity to fail, thanks for your kind words. I'm sure your future amp will be as nice as your little boombox radios and speakers.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    I think your back panel came out really nice. Especially since that's a lot of holes!

They do have white letter on black label for label makers which would possibly get you closer to the big company style of lettering... Brother TZ-E335 Label Maker Tape, 0.47"W, White On Black | Quill.com

I was talking with Kevin a few years ago about possibly having some adhesive textured plastic sheets made up with various electronic logos printed up such as you would have used on your amp... like (+) and (-) Out, In, power logos, and a bunch other stuff. It wouldn't be a slick as the silk screened stuff on the pre-made up amp back, but it would be pretty good for DIY stuff. I didn't proceed with it as I just had too many things going on at the time. I was thinking of having multiple things printed on a sheet, and you would just cut out the icon you needed, peel the adhesive backing, and stick it on.

It was an idea, anyway, didn't say it was a good one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	icons electrical.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1462179

Your amp is looking really nice, and it's fun watching it progress. Thanks for posting the details. I've dreamed about making my own amp for years. I have the stuff to make one, but I want to make the case myself, so it must wait until I'm thinking clearly about it.

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Putting one of these together in a day at an "Amp Camp" would be a chore. The nice DIYaudio kit back panel vs my crude labels.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0027 (1).JPG Views:	0 Size:	475.6 KB ID:	1462173 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0028 (1).JPG Views:	0 Size:	481.6 KB ID:	1462174

Click image for larger version  Name:	aca back.jpg Views:	0 Size:	324.5 KB ID:	1462175
    Last edited by djg; 01-19-2021, 04:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied

Name:	IMG_0025 (1).JPG
Views:	378
Size:	465.8 KB
ID:	1461896 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0024 (1).JPG Views:	0 Size:	437.0 KB ID:	1461894 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0023 (1).JPG Views:	0 Size:	448.1 KB ID:	1461892

Leave a comment:

• silverD
    commented on 's reply
    Looking good! I don't care for blue LEDs. I use the white LED switches and dim them as needed.

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    Nice switches. I'm putting a toggle on the back. There will be two LEDS in the front panel indicating power to each channel. They supplied red and blue LEDs. I know blue is the preferred color here at PETT, but I think I'll go red.

• djg
    replied

Name:	IMG_0022 (1).JPG
Views:	396
Size:	509.4 KB
ID:	1461875

Leave a comment:

• silverD
    replied
    At least the holes are all round I really like the latching LED switches for amp projects.

Name:	switch.PNG
Views:	392
Size:	377.8 KB
ID:	1461806

Leave a comment:

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    The hole sizes are marked in the groove. You can't see that while it's spinning, so you can mark the bit with a sharpie or masking tape.

• andykriech
    replied
    djg, BTW with those stepped drills, how do you now when to stop? Do you have a diameter listed for every step?
    ak

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Buncha big holes to drill.

Name:	IMG_0021 (1).JPG
Views:	570
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	1461751

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Tedious. I need a magnifying glass to check the solder joints.

Name:	IMG_0019.JPG
Views:	636
Size:	503.3 KB
ID:	1461479

Leave a comment:

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    No Nate, the Italian DIYaudio custom cases look similar, but are not the same. The Chinese WA92 spec case has 6 pieces. The front, back, top and bottom screw directly to the heatsink sides. The Italian case has rails to which the surfaces attach. DIYaudio offers a really nice case, but it's too much for me to spend on a little fleawatt fun project.

• silverD
    commented on 's reply
    Looks like you sourced the same cases that are used in the kit without the proprietary mounting holes.

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    Don't expect John Atkinson
    Good. He's never heard anything he didn't like, so long as they were an advertiser.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X