• djg
    commented on 's reply
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ontinuum-build

• blue934
    commented on 's reply
    Beautiful Harbeth styled Continuums!!!

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    And the aluminum in this kit was quite tough. I expected "cheap Chinese" quality.

• wogg
    commented on 's reply
    I've broken a number of taps in aluminum. Oil, patience, and repeatedly backing out every turn or so and it's not bad.

• djg
    replied
    So I'm back to the Outlaw monoblocks and Dayton SPA250DSP kit sub. Effortlessly overpowered for anything I care to hook up.

ACAs on craigslist.
    Last edited by djg; 01-29-2021, 05:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    I've done quite a bit of sheet aluminum work. You get one chance to do it right, when you have a kit. It wasn't really hard, but you need to be careful.

It's far from a "nightmare".

Edit: If you do try this, the little M3 tap is very brittle. That was the only operation that worried me. I bought a good quality tap (Bosch) and a spare, and lubricated the tap. Made a few turns and backed it out to clean it often.
    Last edited by djg; 01-27-2021, 12:32 PM.

• a4eaudio
    replied
    Kind of a late question, but how hard was the drilling and tapping of the holes for the chassis? As you mention, there are some much more expensive chassis out there, but many people make it sound like it is worth it because drilling and tapping can be a nightmare.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    I've worked through the Class A amp bug, I may build a tube amp sometime. Like I need one.
    Last edited by djg; 01-27-2021, 11:30 PM.

• ugly woofer
    replied
    You could keep the chassis and use a 3886 based design. Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• ugly woofer
    replied
    If you want a diy Nelson Pass amp, I would suggest a First Watt. They're not as cheap, but the sound quality is pretty darn good.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    Well ASR is right that the ACA output is quite low, and the ASR crowd would rather look at squiggles than listen to music.

THe ACA is a class project as you say. I'm proud of my work but they are not legend material.

• djg
    replied
    Anticlimactic.
    The SMSL is loudest, but you don't want to turn it past 12 o'clock. The ST-35 is not as loud, the ACA has the least oomph. You all probably knew that already.
    Quality? I'm going to leave the ST-35 plugged in for a while, Continuums no sub.
    I'll probably put the ACAs on craigslist. They have name recognition and curb appeal. The twin cities is crawling with hipster audiophiles. I like them, they sound OK, I just have so much stuff they'll sit under the bed. I can bring joy to an enthusiast who can't build one (or two) themselves.

Leave a comment:

• invaderzim
    replied
    I saw the thread there. Some seem to get joy out of trashing things. I don't think it is terrible; it has just taken on a legend that exceeds its reality.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    Audio Science Review trashed the ACA. ASR members piled on in the thread. The ACA in nearfield is fed by a Schiit DAC through my Dayton SPA250DSP subwoofer, via XLR, or 2.0 via RCA.. The living room test was an Android tablet through a Bluetooth receiver and passive volume control. My only preamp is a Vacuum Tube Audio SP-8.

DIYaudio is well, DIYaudio.

• invaderzim
    replied
    That is the one plus with a known design and a quality finished product, they are sellable. My work is a bit more rough around the edges so resale is harder.

The amp wasn't terrible and I'm a big fan of Mr Pass but it has always baffled me how it receives such glowing reviews when I didn't see it as being that enjoyable. At one point I was actually tempted to build another just to see what I'd missed.

Do you use a preamp with the ACA? I've wondered if it would perform better with a stronger signal fed to it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X